talking to my Mom about the JW's - I need some help

by James_Slash 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Thanks for all the advice here. I've used a couple of things from JWFacts which prove that the house-to-house ministry is not the "be all and end all" of what makes someone a 'true' follower of God. Plus I've showed her that other faiths also evangelise from door-to-door.

I sent all this in an e-mail and since then I've spoken to her by phone but I think she's ignored it. I'd e-mailed her about something else and she replied to that. Whereas she never mentioned the other e-mail I sent.

Perhaps I just need to accept that some people will never see the 'truth' for exactly what it is - however much you put the facts in front of them. When she starts moaning about people at the meetings or the generation/paedophilia issue (which she often does), I feel like saying that I dont want to talk about it anymore as its obvious that she is happy to remain there despite all these nagging doubts.

When she comes out with "where else is there to go and worship that follow true religion?" and "JW's are the only religion that preach door-to-door" then by showing ignorance she is obviously happy with the religion she practices. I am not going to keep wasting my time.

• Farkel
    Farkel

What Thomas Covenant said. The "Good News" dubs preach is humanity's worst nightmare when you cut through all the bullshit.

:she said to me today that "if the JW's are not the true religion, then who is?"

That's the old JW stand-by when their arguments are all demolished. If someone was eating poisonous food and dying, and you pointed that out, would they continue to eat that food and and then "Until you can tell what food to eat, I'll continue to eat the poisonous food, thank you." Or would they be smart enough to at least quit eating that food and then find something on their own that isn't poisonous?

Apparently dubs would rather be poisoned to death than live a life without poison. Not only that, they're too damn lazy to even go out and look for a better way of life to live: they want someone else to do it for them.

Dubs are just about the laziest people on earth. They'd rather have someone else do their own thinking for them, someone else be responsible for their beliefs, someone else tell them what decisions they can and cannot make in their lives, someone else tell them who to marry and when, someone else tell them what kind of work they should do, how much money they should make, whether to have children or not, what kind of entertainment to enjoy, what they can and cannot read, who they can and cannot be friends with, what kind of sex they may and may not have, and someone else find them a better religion when they discover their own religion is a disaster.

Farkel

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

Too right Farkel. I can tell that she is getting quite annoyed by my constant knocking of the JWs so I'm going to try and keep off the subject. In saying that she often instigates the discussion then jumps to defend the religion! Totally brainwashed.

• steve2
    steve2

Why not be radical and show her how you can accept her just as she is, JW or not? She seems to be very accepting of you, although she's not necessarily agreeing with what you say. It doesn't sound like she's forcing the religion down your throat so why be so focused on convincing her that her faith is wrong? Life is too short to keepc revisitng those boring JW questions such as, "If we don't have the truth, who does?" Talk about Baby Food questions! Have a nice coffee with your mother and discuss the weather.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit