What did you really want to be?

by serenitynow! 22 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

BP, you are invited to my home to cook for me.

• laverite
    laverite

I was born in, from a long line of JWs. Baptised as a young teenager. DA'd myself while in college after realizing the whole thing was a load of hooey. That was 20 years ago.

So...what did I really, really want to be?

I had this crazy secret fantasy that I would become a high school French teacher. While I have near-native fluency in French (long story), and only watch French television (except the Daily Show, sometimes the Colbert Report and some CNN) and listen almost exclusively to French music (not counting some Italian favorites), I never did go on to be what I had secretely dreamed of being. [If you ever need a good example of a tortured linguistic unit, just reference my previous sentence!].

Instead, I became a college professor. I love my job. My fourth book comes out in a few months (all four with a major publishing company). "I'm lovin' it!" Just glad I don't have to work McDonald's or window washing jobs...Not putting that down...Nearly all of my family members are janitors, cleaners and window washers. Of course, they shun me. Being a professor (oh...AND gay), I'm the black sheep of the family in a family of janitorial staff and house cleaners.

Never did become what I fantasized about in high school. But I have no regrets. French is a huge part of my daily life, probably more than if I had become a H.S. French teacher.

My life is far richer than I had ever hoped to imagine. I love what I do. Most importantly, I have a wonderful family -- three beautiful children, the youngest being one year old. I'm living my life, enjoying it to the fullest, and the Society can't tell me what to do or think. Growing up in the bOrg, I take NOTHING I have for granted one bit.

So very glad I escaped at 18. I shudder to think what my life would have been otherwise.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I was very young I wanted to be a librarian (I had an intense love for books, still do).

As I got older I became interested in sewing (mostly out of necessity - I was a chubby child and my mother made shopping a horror so it was less stress for me to make my own clothes. Right out of high school I went to fashion design school but dropped out four months later because of a romantic breakup (first love break ups are a bitch).

I told folks in my congregation that I dropped out because of the worldly wild influences at design school but secretly I loved that school and was doing pretty well academically. I'm glad I went back five years later, completed the course and got my degree which did lead to a pretty good career.

• flipper
    flipper

SERENITYNOW ! - Good thread. I wanted to be initially a Major League Baseball player. The coach wanted me to be on the Freshman/Sophmore baseball team in high schoolafter watching me play as a 14 year old - but my JW parents would not let me as they said it " interferred " with preperation for Tuesday night meetings. Also- Been told I have a decent singing voice- I wanted secretly to be a rock star in a band and write songs and music too ! But- Being a JW it would have put me on the road in compromising environments ( according to the WT society ) so I ended up marrying a JW girl at 19 and having kids in my 20's . Coulda, shoulda, woulda

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Flipper

but my JW parents would not let me as they said it " interferred " with preperation for Tuesday night meetings.

Dude I feel ya. I mean Those tuesday meeting's were so friggin important to...not a gat dang thang. Man what a crock ass religion.

• doublelife
    doublelife

I always wanted to be either a writer or a model or an actress. Now that I'm 27 and left the borg last year, I can finally pursue whatever I want. But, it makes me angry to think of where I could be in my career right now if the WTS hadn't held me back.

• designs
    designs

Wanted to be involved in Environmental work........37 year JW gap...........now I am in the Environmental field.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I was not raised a witness, but when I think about it I never really wanted to be anything I just wanted to understand life and what it was all about.

I wanted experiences and new thoughts sometimes I feel like Thoreau when he went to the woods.

"iI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not when I came to die discover that I had not lived"

I'm 60 now and still searching through ideas and have never been anything like an occupation or career or anything like that.

• yknot
    yknot

All I ever wanted to be was a WT Lawyer.......

My second choice was to be a ballerina (I am way too tall)

giggles, giggles, giggles

• dissed
    dissed

I wanted to follow a college scholarship for basketball and then get a teaching degree. Then write murder/comedy/mysteries in my spare time.

And on the weekends, become a CIA hitman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit