Got a question about disabilities? I have answers

by Lady Lee 99 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I went back to the restaurant and talked to the manager. He was none too friendly while justifying his decision to put us outside on the patio with my dog. He said the area that I wanted was a high traffic area and would be dangerous for the dog when it was very busy. That area is a raised part of the dining room that is set apart from the high traffic area. He lied and said that we were told that the first available place would be outside and is that okay with us. What his employee told us that night was that it's busy and BECAUSE OF THE DOG, WE WOULD HAVE TO BE PUT OUTSIDE ON THE PATIO. High bar chairs with no place for the dog under the table and that also being a high traffic area was one of the worst places. He said that he's an animal lover and would hate to see my dog get hurt in the area that we requested (lowest traffic area, btw). He said that we need to do what is best for the dog and that I can agree on and he can agree on. Isn't that just bull shit? I think it is, since I already know where and what will work best for my dog and eating experience there.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Lady Lee, I did not have a good sleep. I keep a fan running in the room. For some reason, every few seconds, it would make a clicking sound. Drove me crazy. Then, I finally got beyond the clicking sound and fell asleep and my autistic son decided to get up. I woke up to a bright light. He was in the dining room. He had a glass of juice and a Little Golden Book, had the TV on full blast, and every light in the house was on. He can't be left unsupervised so I had to stay up until I could get him to stay in his bed. He is a handful!

I just had a very nice nap and am in a very good mood, though!

White Dove, find out which state agency you need to complain to about this discrimination and do it. They'll put that manager in his place.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Re: Heat pads

I have an electric heating pad. It has a blue cloth cover that can be removed and washed. I don't know how many years that I had this thing. Everyone in my family has used it for one reason or another. We all love it. Once, when I was having a bout with my occipital neuralgia, I wrapped the thing around my head. It worked great. I didn't want to get an injection of cortisone into the back of my skull, which is the treatment that I get from my ENT.

http://www.electricheatingpads.org/

We, also, have a therma-light massager (It's supposed to give off infrared heat.). This works great for joint pain; but you have to hold it and rub it around on the area. You just can't lay it there.

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Light-Heat-Lamp-Massager/dp/B001RUCZNC (The one that we own is about 20 years old. It doesn't look like this one.)

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear Lee, for addressing these issues.

I am, among other things, a care provider and this information is very helpful to me. I have my own issues but still manage to work part time. Comments such as those of StAnn's regarding be-active-today-and-pay-tomorrow [despite how "good" you look] I can totally relate to.

You mentioned life's being a balancing act. How true.

Blessings to all of you.

CoCo

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

White Dove

Good for you for going back to complain. Like StAnn said take it higher.

StAnn

I am so glad I am beyond the kid stage. My heart goes out to you. Glad you are feeling good though

I went to bed just after you but didn't get to sleep until 5 am - saw the sun coming up. I have to work on a better sleep schedule because this is insane.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi CoCo

I see people out in wheelchairs. Most of the time they look like crap. Their clothes are a mess or dirty, their hair hasn't been washed lately or combed. I understand the difficulty in changing clothes during th eday and that some people have difficulty eating but wear an apron or put a towelover your clothes. Wash and comb your hair. There is no reason tolook like a slob.

The man a couple of doors down is paralyzed from above the waist down. When he goes out he looks good. He gets dressed once a day by his care worker. He takes care to stay clean and presentable.

I do the same. I can change as much as I want to but hate doing laundry so I am careful. People in the building always say how nice I look. Being presentable gives me confidence. Their commetns are always nice to hear but I do it for me. I want to feel good so I try to take care of myself and look good. Don't get me wrong. I am not and never have been a style horse. I could care less about fashion and prefer comfort.

And yes I understand depression can be a huge part of what they are going through. I think I better get my foot out of my mouth before I get myself into more trouble

• White Dove
    White Dove

Forgot to add that he said that it's best not to come with my dog on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays during the busy hours (happy hours on weekends). I smelled discrimination instantly at that.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I smell it too White Dove

• Quentin
    Quentin

There is no reason tolook like a slob....

True, and that is an issue I am struggling with. Since I became "ill" have gotten to the pointdon't care how I look. Go for days not combing my hair, shaving, nor showering. Have to make myself do these things. Sit around in my PJs, even to the point of wearing them when leaving the house. Hoping this will pass it being a reaction to what is going on with me. It's not me, have always been fastidous in dress and hygene.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Quentin

I hear you. I have my pajama days too. But I do find if I make the effort I wind up feeling better. I might be more tired but I feel better. Go figure

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit