Were You Good At Field Service?

by WalkTall 24 Replies latest jw friends

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

I used to be in awe at the JW's who were so good at the doors. They were conversational, informative, and knowledgeable. I sucked. And I used to get so down on myself about it. I never thought of myself as a dumb person, and could not understand why, after so many years as a JW, I still could not express myself coherently in field service. My presentations never sounded natural and I could never seem to explain myself correctly, or my mind would go completely blank if questioned on anything. Having awakened, now I think I understand why. I think my brain just could not logically compartmentalize WT information because it never really made sense to me; even when I was not consciously aware that it was a bunch of nonsense.

Anyone else have that problem?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Some of us - like me, maybe - were just better at being phonies when we were facing a stranger.

Don't beat yourself up too much.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I hated it.......... but when put on the spot .... I could hold my own.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I was good at placing mags. Of course in the lower class neighborhoods it was difficult to not find people who wanted some kind of hope so it was easy. I was just pleasant, upbeat, focused only on articles I knew the individual householder would be interested in. RVs I was not good at because they took preparation, and I just didn't like doing them.

• SallySue
    SallySue

I loved feeling superior to the people at the door. I had the "truth" and they were just gonna be killed at Armageddon. When I look back at my attitude, I am ashamed...

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Hard to sell something you don't really believe. No, I was not very good. NMKA

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    Were You Good At Field Service?

In a word 'No'.

But I'm not a good salesperson, either.

• crapola
    crapola

Not really. Was always a nervous wreck because of it.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Yes I was good at the doors . I liked talking to people ,and I would prepare so I was confident in what I was saying . However I was not good at starting studies . I was told it was because I didn't go out enough (never pioneered or auxillary ) I think the real reason was that I never was one hundred percent happy as a witness and wasn't about to trap some other sucker into the unhappiness . Must of the people I met in service were relatively happy with their lives ....why screw it up for them .

• White Dove
    White Dove

I really sucked at it and I was a pioneer! Still sucked at it after PI school. Sure liked the school, though. It made me feel a little more important, that I was doing something special, for once in my life.

Yes, I believe it was because my brain couldn't make sense of the illogical reasonings. I couldn't keep things straight in my head.

I was a really good college student, though.

I can also argue a JW down to where they want to run from me out of frustration. I get them to say "that's true" and "Well, when you put it that way..."

So, I guess my brain was just fine, after all.

What a horrible way to grow up and live my adult life, feeling inferior intellectually because of not being able to spout Bible "truths" like others could.

My subconscious had already filed away such information in the circular file. I just didn't know it then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit