PROVENANCE , EUCLID and the test of the BIBLE itself

by Terry 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

PSacramento is a wise lad indeed!

• agonus
    agonus

Sigh... looks like the fool's errand falls upon the shoulders of the lowly Agonus once again...

OK: For the record, no, I don't believe that the Bible is the "infallible/inerrant/inspired Word of God"...

But who's to say all "believers", er, "believe" this assertion?

Isn't this a bit of a straw man?

The "inerrant Word of God"... hell, the "Word of God", period, is pretty much a relatively recent Protestant myth... no?

Who said the Bible was ever MEANT to be the literal Word of God but rather quasi-mythical accounts from which to glean spiritual insight (in other words, um... like pretty much EVERY "religious" text ever written, with the possible exception of Dianetics)?

What you say about the Gospels may be true, but can't the same argument be made regarding history books? And what criteria, exactly, do we use to prove that the writer(s) were NOT "inspired" to write them down later?

And using the same deductive reasoning for the veracity of a MATHEMATICAL text versus a SPIRITUAL text? Shame on you, Terry. You know better. That's not just apples and oranges, that's apples and orangutans!

What you're arguing against is something of a gradeschool-level theological construct, certainly not one in the vein of the great theologians and spiritual leaders of antiquity.

Are you going to try to "debunk" the "Gnostic Gospels" next? What about the Nag Hammadi texts? The Book of Enoch? I think, Terry, that you may not be seeing the forest for the trees here.

I dunno... I can almost hear those angels on that pinhead... sounds like they're like they're laughing their asses off at all of us...

Well, out come the claws. I asked for it.

• agonus
    agonus

But you're right, Terry. Once we get these damned Middle Eastern belief systems out of the way, humanity will finally be able to accept the truth about Ragnarok and how the Invisible Pink Unicorn will finally end the tyranny of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Oh, and Xenu.

Someday... all shall know... once the channeled information I've received from Tau Ceti is finally complete and rendered painstakingly in Claymation then broadcast to every toaster across Oceania. The truth shall ring like a bell and all will join hands in praising the One True Gopher, Aloysius McPheeters, and I, as his scribe, shall show them the way. Even the mighty Terry will bow...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Oivey !!!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Agonus: Dude either it is Gods word or not. PSacramento two options because is either one or the other. If it isnt then why bother to follow a fantasy book that is not Gods words. And if it is then he failed to keep it safe and preserve it for us.

By pure deductive logic the bible fails the test.

Terry: Wah wah wah nobody reads my posts..... I think I have several that had ZERO views :-)

• tec
    tec

Christ is God's Word. The bible writes about that Word, but it is not that Word. So it is not infallible, inerrant, or whatever else people want to call it.

Tammy

• Terry
    Terry

Terry: Wah wah wah nobody reads my posts..... I think I have several that had ZERO views :-)

Actually, I'll bet everybody reads your posts.

There is a finesse to making your posts "response-worthy".

Minimus is the dead bang master of the response-worthy post.

Study the Minimus, young man! Study the Minimus!

• wobble
    wobble

"the inerrant word of god is pretty much a recent Protestant myth" is certainly true, theologians like Hodge and Warfield very much invented the idea in the 1870's or thereabouts.

It was picked up by C.T Russell , and so poor benighted souls like me (born in to the WT) were brought up to believe it to be so.

It was a shock to me to find out that the Bible was not inerrant, not inspired, not the word of God, and that it had no provenance.

The good thing about this knowledge is that when the Witnesses try to argue with me for their beliefs, I can cut the ground from under them by mentioning the above, and do not have to waste my time playing bible ping-pong.

The above is no problem for true believers, the word believer originally meant , not someone who accepted a set of propositions or doctrines or even stories, but meant someone who committed themselves to a cause, i.e Christian living for example.

So, the true believer in Christ lives a certain way, but this does not depend upon the quality of the scriptures involved, it is a matter of true Faith for them.

The same with our Jewish friends who have never had the problem of reading their scriptures in a literalistic way.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Christ is God's Word. The bible writes about that Word, but it is not that Word. So it is not infallible, inerrant, or whatever else people want to call it.

Tammy has stated the correct, in fact she kicked it in the groin, bent it over and smacked its ass !

• Terry
    Terry

Self-reference leads to paradox!

Where do you read that Christ is God's word? In the bible!

You say the bible "is not infallible, inerrant.."

Are you willing to apply that to the tidbit you gleaned from it? To wit: CHRIST IS GOD'S WORD.

See how that falls to pieces so easily?

You can't have it both ways. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit