Attending memorial tomorrow?

by Ghiagirl 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

My kids are with their Mother right now at "The Memorial" in Melbourne as we speak. I'm about to partake ........... Of a glass or two of Giesen Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc - Best thing to come out of NZ since the Finn Brothers.... Nice clear night here, the full moon looks amazing!

Cheers...

PS - Chiagirl, its so liberating not going after a couple of years..... And yes having a wonderful Friday night :)

• Watchtower-Free
  • bafh
    bafh

I will be going. As a 4th generation born-in with a true-believer regular pioneer for a mom, it's the last vestige that signals "I'm not a danger to your spirituality".

While I haven't attended meetings in about 7 years, this is one hour of my life once a year that keeps things easy for me. I usually have a martini or two before I go, attend, chit-chat and then leave and have another drink.

its worth it for me and I feel I get a big return on my investment in terms of social grease for the rest of the year.

I have to say though that the more " out" I am the more ridiculous they sound. It may get to the point where I can't stand it any more and I will join you all in the non-attendee group.

• dozy
    dozy

I attended a few Memorials after I faded , mainly to try to keep elderly parents on board. I perfectly understand why some ex-JWs go & some don't. Everybody has their reasons - I remember years ago one "unbelieving mate" married to a sister in the congregation confiding in me at the post Memorial " few drinks in a friend's house" gathering that he only went every year for "brownie points" and at least he was guaranteed regular sex for a couple of weeks!

When you are out of the routine of meetings , you realise just how silly it all is. The whole " passing emblems " without anyone partaking , the whole focus of the talk being that people shouldn't partake the emblems and the faux solemnity of the occasion just seems really bizarre.

The last one I went to was in 2011 - I realised then that the congregation had changed a lot since I had attended & that I didn't know many people - most of the people who I cared about most had either moved away or stopped going to meetings and a couple of the few genuine "Christian types" in the congregation had died due to old age. Also some were quite cool towards me obviously wondering about my motives for being there & a couple of the elders told me it was time I "sorted my life out" and I realised that it was time to stop going as I was sending out the wrong message. The congregation had moved on and so had I.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Poor Wifey has to go to assist aged and wheel -chair-bound grandma -and to assist still-in sister handling gran.. And daughter was begged by aunty to accompany "as this may be grans last one " [where have I heard that before?] - so she got suckered in. I am going to a Bistro overlooking the Indian Ocean and will Meditate [Seriously! ] about issues related to this doctrine] while I sip a glass of Red Wine - as the full - moon rises over the Hottentots Holland Mountain range here in Cape Town

• stillin
    stillin
    I will be going. I won't enjoy it. However, I found myself, kind of, enjoying the reading leading up to the Memorial. I almost never sit and read the Bible anymore since the WTS ran off with my joy. But I still attend with my fragile wife, who would have a cow if I completely quit.
  • Laika
    Laika
    Nobody invited me, I've never been so relieved to be excluded from something!
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    When did they start witholding the emblems from the disfellowshipped?
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

My last one was in 2005. On the REJECT Astaroth Party day 2006 I got a Ouija board instead of going. And I still have my Christmas lights up and the decorations are still up, too. In the hall, the Easter decorations I put up are staying up until after Easter (as they tie into spring more than Jesus, they can stay up a while after).

That is, unless two hounders show up with an attorney to force me back to the REJECT Astaroth party (and Israel, after the party). Then I will not have any choice but to waste the time at the party and the time and money on the stupidest mission in history.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Well whats the point of going if your not going to drink some wine and eat some bread ?

I'm going to stay home tonight and do it on my own , Jesus will understand .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit