Attending memorial tomorrow?

by Ghiagirl 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ghiagirl
    Ghiagirl

This is my first year I will not attend memorial.

To be honest if it wasn't for my husband I would probably be going still. He says what's the point, don't be one of those people who doesn't give a sh** but just shows there face once a year.

I am still struggling with discovering these new feelings about the organization. For the first time looking from the outside, although I've always questioned, my eyes are actually opened! But it's an ongoing battle with what I have known my whole life to this new view on everything. Naturally being raised a witness I feel I HAVE to go. Do I care? Not really but I'm so used to having to do everything for appearances! Already got the guilt trips from the family. My husband says no though, I probably would just go to make my family happy but at the end of the day I should be true to myself. My husband says of you want to go back to meetings, then go, but don't half ass it. Be in or be out. At this point I've tried to go back, and was beig a hypocrite. So looks like I will be missing my first memorial. It is hard for me, but I realize it's what they teach anyways right? Don't be a hypocrite. For all those who go for family I understand! Not trying to put others down at all I'm hit struggling because if it weren't for my hubby I may be going too! Anyways hope all have a wonderful Friday regardless of their plans. :)

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

So you'll be not, non-partaking?

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    I joked today about showing up and pooping in a chair, but I now think it'd be far funnier to pee in the wine.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I was thinking about going to the Memorial, but then I checked my "to do" list:

• I've got chips that need to be eaten.
    • There's Netflix, so many shows that I need to watch.
    • I've got beer in the fridge. They're not going to drink themselves.

I just have too much to do! I don't have the time and energy to go to the Deny Jesus Party this year... or any year in the future for that matter.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We're going...just to keep the heat off for a while...

Oh, and to go to the usual "post memorial drinking red-wine parties" that take place after!

It always makes me laugh...cant drink the (cheap-as) wine passed during the service, BUT you can drink the (much better quality) red served only 30 mins later at someones house!!??

• bradford
    bradford
    My wife wants me to go. My condition was if I go its all you can eat bread and all you can drink wine. She doesn't want me to go now..
  • jwleaks
  • steve2
    steve2

Will I be going to the memorial? Hold on while I check my diary.

Sorry, my terrible memory's been jogged : I have made an entry not to go. Last year's Kingdom Ministry asked, Will this (2014) Memorial be the last? I answered "Yes, it will be the last one." I am a man of my word. No 2015 Memorial for me.

• menrov
    menrov

Hi Ghiagirl, i understand the sentiments. It will for me also my first year that I will not attend. Main reasons:

- I do not believe the credentials of the organsiation anymore
    - the setup (intention) of the memorial is not what Jesus had intended
    - the lecture during the memorial will not draw you closer to Jesus (more the opposite)
    - I do not believe that their prayers are respectful to Jesus (when 2 or more gather in MY name, I will be among them). JW's do not gather in Jesus name. At least, that is what I see.
    - Who do I please when I attend? My wife yes, but she is not my redeemer. Jesus? Only if I can partake respectfully, in the right ambiance. The Father? Only if the memorial setup allows me to honor His Son like I honor the Father.

Based on the above, I do not see any valid reason to attend.

You can have your own memorial with your husband (if your husband still believes, it would mean you and your husband can gather in Jesus name).

Anyway, all the best.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    As MENROV said!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit