Could We Trigger A Tipping Point?

by metatron 20 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

The Watchtower has an Achilles Heel that few seem to have noticed: Every change must be interpreted as a victory. For them, this goes well beyond the sort of hype and 'spin' that would be expected from a government or ordinary corporation. The reason why is obviously because they feel that their whole mythical reputation as God's chosen organization is on the line, with everything they do.

Even rank false prophesy by them gets redirected as ' they were really unfaithful and just serving towards a date' (what, the date YOU provided??)

Going further with this, they can't even appeal to Bible examples of decline for support - because this would expose their "spiritual paradise" as a facade and also contradict the notion of 'Armageddon Any Day Now'.

I call this 'Fantasy Maintenance' as they must also be quick to remove failing programs that threaten to expose their illusion. They dump 'Pioneer Assistance' and years ago, got rid of the foolish notion of meeting for service during a convention/assembly.

The cooperative nature of this Fantasy Maintainance extends to publishers eagerly willing to deceive themselves about Bethel layoffs, magazine cutbacks, dumping subscriptions and uncaring elders while taking a completely negative view of the same things they encounter at their place of employment! Cognitive Dissonance, indeed!

I'm not sure how much longer this collective psychosis can continue without some sort of 'dam breaking'. I think this is also why they created the Family Night arrangement as the massive loss of Witness kids was threatening to expose them, due to how bad it really is. It gets them off the hook by creating another, 'well, it's probably your fault' situation.

The failures of the Governing Body seem to be accelerating recently, across the board, with the unpleasant new Songbook as a reminder at every meeting. If we wish to encourage a 'tipping point', I wonder if we could find success with discretion and euphemisms. Such as:

"Don't you think this is Jehovah's Organization??!"

"I think the Organization is getting old and tired. They seem to be cutting back on everything and few men want to reach out. I just don't see how they can go on this way"

No 'false prophets' , no 'child molester protectors', no 'liars' - you save those gems for this board! By shifting the discussion away from cult theology , you might get a different reaction - or at least, a moment in which they don't know what to say.

and that might lead to the sort of thinking that terrifies the Watchtower.

metatron

• zoiks
    zoiks

I agree that a tipping point is coming, but I'm not sure how far-reaching it will be. Will it just be a small but significant number of people waking up, leaving an uber-loyal siege-mentality core? Perhaps. Then the question would be, how long can they remain in their persecution-complex-the-end-is-nigh-because-so-few-are-left state of being?

I agree with using questions such as the ones you stated. It's easier to get someone to think if you don't use what have become 'trigger words' for JWs.

• ruruj
    ruruj

Tipping Point ... how about everybody go to one side of the boat? Or just rock the boat left and right.

WT has poisoned the well among JWs so that they could not think clearly against WT, be truly reasonable with other religions and be balanced & real with life.

Some of us will try "poysonin' the fishing well of WT". Lesser new members = more chance of tipping. Join us if you dare.

Metaphorically: "Sink the boat first, then save the prisoners."

• metatron
    metatron

I'm not sure if they could get away with a major loss of printing, such as almost total ending book production and dumping magazines - or even loss of district assemblies - all due to finances. Telling people that the preaching work is ending would only be a stopgap remedy.

I would also point out that, underneath the smiles, older Witnesses can be quite critical of things in the organization but you would never know that in the context of them becoming defensive. They have nowhere else to go, it's true but that doesn't mean they can't slack off.

If they dump the C.O.'s, then the real fun begins as they could evolve in an odd direction of simple detachment from the publishers: little leadership, sparse literature, and no clear answers as to where they are on Jehovah's Timeline, relative to widespread apathy in congregations.

metatron

• Consfearacy
    Consfearacy

If Jehovah's Organization is a man-made, self destructive institution it will either gradually dissolve or implode all at once kind of like Enron. If a supreme being is involved the story will be entirely different.

• agonus
    agonus

I think the tipping point was reached in 2001/2002, when the 2 Biggest Scandals Ever occurred (the UN and the Dateline pedophilia special), but the average Dub is only now beginning to feel the aftershocks. However, if you look at the literature/policies etc. from that time on, I think it becomes pretty clear that the Org started to become more markedly insular and bizarre than they have in decades... witness the Public/Koolaid WTs, the ever-increasing slavey-pimpy, the generation insanity, heightened control measures, etc.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well, I think they realize many are having doubts and questioning recent changes. It seems every other talk or study article is about staying close to the organization and following the lead of the faithful slave. And if we don't accept these changes we are being rebellious and selfish and relying on our own understanding. At least that is what a public talk brought out recently.

• agonus
    agonus

Empty,

If you doubt that Faithy Discreety is becoming more enamored of itself by the minute, just do a search for "faithful slave" on the latest CD-ROM. If I'm not mistaken, this decade shows the highest number of references to Slavey ever, with 2009 being a record since the 1960s.

• agonus
    agonus

As a matter of fact, I can't even remember a Study Edition WT that didn't draw attention to Thefaithfulanddiscreetslave TM at least once or more. I'm not sure there's been a single issue that neglected to mention them at least once or twice since the inception of the Koolaid version... though I'd be delighted to have somebody prove me wrong!

• agonus
    agonus

When DID they start printing the Koolaid edition, BTW? I want to say 2006 or 2007...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit