Question on Case of Disfellowshipped then Committed Suicide

by ruruj 32 Replies latest jw friends

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I know of several JWs who have committed suicide. Some were disfellowshipped or in the process of being DFed. Others were in "good standing".

The ratio of suicide among the JW religion is shockingly high compared to the general populous based on my research to date. I am in the process of compiling some data that may prove helpful to you, and to others.

The Oracle

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I know of two cases where young brothers committed suicide.

I believe suicide happens because as a jw, you have absolutely no support or ties outside of the organization. It is forbidden. So, when you get "pushed out" by disfellowshipping, you have no support system in place to fall back on. No place to land safely. Nowhere to turn. The fear factor is astronomical. It is all part of the brainwash. You are set up to fail if you dare to leave.

Fortunately for me, when I got disfellowshipped, I had been seeing a good therapist who understood cult recovery. Also, I had my dance friends who proved to be very supportive and caring. Thanks to the "world" I discovered that I could find my way to living a balanced life.

ESTEE

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Sadly, I know at least of 6 JW's who have taken their own lives, none of whom were d'fd. The funeral of one MS whom I went to pioneer school was one of the worst funerals I have ever been to. The insensitivty of the local BofE and the congo was the worst I have ever seen for a brother who gave his all and then some for the borg during his 35 years on this planet....

He like the others I knew were suffering in a way we could not appreciate until we perhaps are in their circumstances. Though back in the late 80's when 3 Sydney bethelites commited suicide, the reaction and "spin" put out by the borg and the bethel heavies made me sick...

Cover ups, finger pointing, laying blame where it wasnt due, the borg could not and never will, accept liability for the mental duress it has put its current and past followers under. In the words of one ex (and excuse the language), "it has created a lot of head fucks"

This board has probably done more for mental health than any Wt or Awake when it publishes an article with "helpful hints" on staying sane whilst in this current system of things....

Cheers, Mattieu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit