Christianity gives you.........umm.......uh.............................................?

by Terry 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quentin
    Quentin

It doesn't alter the fact that societies that put aside religious doctrine in the pursuit of equality and human rights for ALL it's citizens are generally more peaceful than countries where religions and their teachings play a more active role and is more adhered to. (...ZR)

Yup...usualy at the point of a gun....putting people under the sword applies to both sides...yet, it is religon and dogma that need to go, not God...a contrite delima...

• Terry
    Terry
    If Christians want to catch an accurate glimpse of what Early Christianity must have been like all they have to do is closely examine the Fundamentalist Muslims!

That's a stretch Terry,

Early christians don't really strike me as militant.

Really?

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Sorry PS, I don't see what point that chart has to do with the results of the global peace index for this year. I wouldn't feel too bad about Canada being 14, Australia was even further down at 19 I think and the United State was all the way day at 85.

• tec
    tec

Early Christians were not taught to be militant by their teacher - Christ.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Sorry PS, I don't see what point that chart has to do with the results of the global peace index for this year. I wouldn't feel too bad about Canada being 14, Australia was even further down at 19 I think and the United State was all the way day at 85.

You said:

Well it's already happening in many countries in the world, and highest percentage of countries that are the most peaceful on the planet, are the countries that have the lowest percentage of religious followers.

My point is that in Canada, the vast majority are religious or faithful and we have very low crime rate.

And that according to government census, that link you psoted doesn't seem to be correct, at leastin regards to Canada.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Really?

Forgive your enemy and turn the other cheek, don't strike me as militant.

Not rebelling and preaching against rebellion is not militant.

Even on the issue of slavery, as discussed many times, they were NOT militant, on the issue of serving Roman they were not militant, in fact, I don't recall any passage that advocated rebellion or militant action.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall any.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks
    My point is that in Canada, the vast majority are religious or faithful and we have very low crime rate.

I didn't single out any countries. The data collected simply shows that a high percentage (not all) of countries that are the most peaceful, are countries that have a higher percentage of people that either do not hold a religious belief or do not consider religion important.

The link is correct. If you feel it is incorrect, take it up with the people who actually spend their time researching and compiling the data from 140 countries, 350 days of the year conducting interviews in excess of 1000 per day in the United States alone. I'm afraid your conclusion is coming only from a personal point of view, not on the actual attitudes of the population at large.

• Terry
    Terry

Forgive your enemy and turn the other cheek, doesn't strike me as militant.

Not rebelling and preaching against rebellion is not militant.

Even on the issue of slavery, as discussed many times, they were NOT militant, on the issue of serving Roman they were not militant, in fact, I don't recall any passage that advocated rebellion or militant action.

I may be wrong, but I don't recall any.

May I shift your focus off that word "militant"?

Rome had the most awesomely ferocious military and secular police forces in history!

It was unthinkable that christians should react in any way "militant".

What I'm referring to is between the sects of early christian doctrinal disputes.

One set of christians would beat the crap out of other christians all too frequently.

Tolerance was never a strong suit when it came to orthodoxy. Especially among judeo-christians.

Remember, the Old Testament God had wrought a nation of "thought crimes" punishable by death.

Jews had been commanded to stone to death their wife, son, daughter, best friend WITHOUT MERCY if they worshipped (non-existent) false gods.

When these self-same monomanical jews accepted Jesus as Messiah their views of purity and orthodoxy did not change!

Do you think a Monotheist Christian/Jew looked kindly upon a Trinitarian christian congregation spreading the idea that Jehovah was really 3 Gods (in one)?

There were riots, murders, violence, mayhem and unrest all throughout the sectarian overlap of competing christian congregations.

• tec
    tec

None of that was taught, Terry.

I haven't read the Qur'an. But didn't Mohammed teach militant behavior? If we're going to compare, then we might compare it with the desert dwelling Israelites for behavior. Not the Christianity that Jesus taught - and since he's the Christ, well, he is the one we should be following if we call ourselves Christians.

There were riots, murders, violence, mayhem and unrest all throughout the sectarian overlap of competing christian congregations.

Then they missed the whole point of Jesus' teachings.

Tammy

• JeffT
    JeffT

What I'm referring to is between the sects of early christian doctrinal disputes.

One set of christians would beat the crap out of other christians all too frequently.

Tolerance was never a strong suit when it came to orthodoxy. Especially among judeo-christians.

Remember, the Old Testament God had wrought a nation of "thought crimes" punishable by death.

Jews had been commanded to stone to death their wife, son, daughter, best friend WITHOUT MERCY if they worshipped (non-existent) false gods.

When these self-same monomanical jews accepted Jesus as Messiah their views of purity and orthodoxy did not change!

Do you think a Monotheist Christian/Jew looked kindly upon a Trinitarian christian congregation spreading the idea that Jehovah was really 3 Gods (in one)?

Please provide a reference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit