Christianity gives you.........umm.......uh.............................................?

by Terry 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JeffT
    JeffT

Terry, I generally stay out of these debates because, frankly, I don't feel like attempting to refute angry ignorance. On a thread about the NYC Islamic center this comment was made:

Ignorance of Islam's many branches is at the core of this debate.

Your rants against "Christianity" lump everybody from Unitarian Universalists to Westboro Baptists under one roof. It's like saying that everybody that listens to the radio believes everything said by Rush Limbaugh and Rachel Maddow.

You are obviously a smart guy, but (in my opinion) you need to let go of the past. This doesn't mean forget it, it doesn't mean you can't build on prior experience. Just stop living there. Life is going on around you.

You may be right about much of what you have to say, but I prefer to live in a more colorful world, where hope and asperation are the wellspring of living. One more quote (said to me by a rehab counselor five years ago).

"For some one who is almost pathologically intellectual you are surprisingly in contact with your emotions."

You seem to have the intellect down, try finding (or displaying) an emotion other than anger. You might be happier.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

You seem to have the intellect down, try finding (or displaying) an emotion other than anger. You might be happier.

How bout displaying "crazy"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJI9xDUYV8&feature=related

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

AMEN!

Christianity is deceiving practice with empty promises and one sided-signed contract.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Another quote from the same counselor: "if you're going to make up stories about people you don't know, make up something that helps you feel better."

• Terry
    Terry

Your rants against "Christianity" lump everybody from Unitarian Universalists to Westboro Baptists under one roof. It's like saying that everybody that listens to the radio believes everything said by Rush Limbaugh and Rachel Maddow.

You are obviously a smart guy, but (in my opinion) you need to let go of the past. This doesn't mean forget it, it doesn't mean you can't build on prior experience. Just stop living there. Life is going on around you.

You may be right about much of what you have to say, but I prefer to live in a more colorful world, where hope and asperation are the wellspring of living. One more quote (said to me by a rehab counselor five years ago).

"For some one who is almost pathologically intellectual you are surprisingly in contact with your emotions."

I got a huge kick out of the "pathologically intellectual" comment! That is a wonderful phrase! I'm going to have a T-shirt made. Thank you.

Now, concerning your comment in total. DO YOU REALIZE that nobody has actually made me a list (by way of answer) of ACTUAL things provided by Christianity?? Isn't that stunning?

Real things are certainly worth having. But, so far, only one ABSTRACT concoction has been offered: HOPE.

Perhaps you can tell me what Christianity GIVES YOU. Nobody else seems to be able to.

My statement is either a statement of fact or one of opinion. I think it is a fact.

I'm not lumping people together, as you have said---I'm talking NOT about people. I'm talking about the INSTITUTION OF CHRISTIANITY as a way of life.

It is hucksterism. It is oversold with claims more outrageous than snake oil salesmen from the eighteen hundreds.

That's what I'm targeting.

If it isn't and I'm full of wild blueberry muffins---somebody should be able to tell me why?

Don't you think?

As is--your comment really only amounts to a feeble ad hominem.

Where's your beef? All I see is melted cheese.

• tec
    tec

Okay Terry, now I need clarification.

Christianity as an organized religion? Or Christianity as in following Christ, and God through him - faith, but without the organized religion?

Because I am of the second explanation. And I offered you 'peace' as what it gives to me.

Tammy

• garyneal
    garyneal

My brother told me that religion (I presume Christianity) offers a moral compass.

He is only half right, it also offers a belief in the assuredness that you are going to have everlasting life.

Others, like Tammy, are also offered peace (which I presume comes from the assuredness). Of course this peace can also come from the fact that you are not required to try to "control" everything in your life. In other words, you let God control the matters of your life. This offers some kind of piece of mind because you now know that everything will work out for the good of those who love God.

In other words, this can offer success in life.

Can this success be found in other ways outside of Christianity? You be the judge...

"Successful people believe that everything happens for a reason and a purpose and that it serves them." Tony Robbins in his Personal Power program.

Parallel in scripture, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgUc7eLXs0s&feature=related

• JeffT
    JeffT

Why do I need to get something from my religion that I need to explain to you or anybody else?

It's mine and I'm happy with it.

• agonus
    agonus

Terry... regarding hope:

Is it REALLY such a dangerous thing?

If the existence of those poor folks in Ecuador is brightened even one iota by a hope that by definition cannot be proven either way, and as long as that hope presents no immediate danger to anyone else... then seriously... what do you care?

• agonus
    agonus

I get where Terry is coming from though, to some degree. I went through the Resolute Unbeliever phase myself in my late 20s... but now I realize that kind of certitude is just as false as the sense of 'knowingness" I had when I was a Witness kid... What was it that Bertrand Russell said about certainty?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit