Demon possessed furniture?? Any scriptural support?

by digderidoo 28 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I remember instances where we told that the demons could get into the house through furniture or ornaments. If anyone had a problem in the house with demons, they should remove anything that they may have bought second hand. I remember one family getting rid of their carpet!

What is the basis for this belief? Is there anything in scripture to justify this viewpoint?

Paul

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I can't think of any scriptural support, but common sense tells me that, if powerful demons even exist, they would probably have more interesting things to do with their time than hang out in old coffee cups, sofas, and ottomans.

W

• Inkie
    Inkie
    What is the basis for this belief?

The false teachings of the scribes and the Pharisees, aka the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, aka Jehovah's Witnesses.

Is there anything in scripture to justify this viewpoint?

No.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The last Demons that possessed chairs in my house where a couple of elders on a shepherding call.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Seriously, are the JWs showing any signs of giving up some of this ultra-superstitious view of "the demons"?

I remember an hour public talk outline back in the 1960s which just covered this one subject - it even supported the notion of "ectoplasm" as a real demonic phenomenon. It was a very popular public talk with the rank & file - so woo-woo-scary that is was actually not as boring as most others.

• Girlie
    Girlie

LOL @ Wasblind

Never came across any scriptural evidence for this. Just typical JW scare tactic.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The last Demons that possessed chairs in my house where a couple of elders on a shepherding call.

LOL. Good one.

W

• undercover
    undercover

No scripture that I know of to support inanimate objects being demonized. People and pigs, yes, table lamps and TVs, no.

But that didn't stop em from believing and telling all the demon stories. Funny how they got snarky when people tried to tell ghost stories but they told the same exact stories except called them "experiences with demons".

• undercover
    undercover

And remember how we weren't supposed to buy used junk at yard sales or consignment shops? Demons lurk in that shit you know...just waiting to posess your house and torment you.

I knew one sister who swore she was being fucked with by demons. So her and her elder husband went through the house and got rid of everything purchased used or given to them until they felt they had eradicated it.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Not just "get rid of it", undercover - back in my day the rule was that you had to burn it to ashes, so as not to spread the "demon" to someone else.

Some things, like a bound book, are difficult to burn by just lighting a match to it. This was always taken as a sign that the demon inside was resisting the destruction of its hiding place.

How could we have been such lunatics?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit