Murder in the Bible.

by Mall Cop 23 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods

You know - one thing that has always bothered me about this fable (in comparison with JW teaching) was that I thought nobody could kill or eat animals until after the flood.

So what was Abel keeping those flocks for?

• blondie
    blondie

Jewish History: Biblical History: Cain's Weapon:

What weapon did Cain use to kill Abel?

The Midrash Gen.Rabbah gives three views about the weapon that Cain used to kill Abel: A stone, a cane (Heb. Kanah, a word similar to Cain's name), or a sword (because Cain had seen Adam using a sword to kill a sacrifice). Other Midrashim give variants on these views, and the Zohar says that Cain used his teeth. The Midrash Rabbah adds that Cain tried various methods before he found one that worked.
    BACK Probably for clothing...better than animal skin.
  • JWoods
    JWoods

BACK
    Probably for clothing...better than animal skin.

But - it WAS animal skin, right? Oh - never mind.

BTW - they had shears back before the copper or iron age?

• undercover
    undercover
    So what was Abel keeping those flocks for?

Goats milk, goat cheese, and goat fur...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't have the Watchtower CD handy, but I recall an article once mentioned that Cain may have actually poisoned Abel.

We know that the Tree of Life was off limits to Adam's family since they were no longer perfect. So the fruit from the Tree of Life would no longer have the same affect on their bodies as it would on a perfect individual, in fact, the body may strongly reject it.

Understanding this, Cain may have slipped around the Angels guarding the entrance to the Garden of Eden at night and grabbed some of the fruit. He then prepared some drink (something like a Smoothie) for Abel. After Abel drank it, his body convulsed and he began throwing up and getting the royal squirts. So much in fact, that he began passing blood and eventually died there.

We may never know the exact facts but this seems like a resonable explaination of the events.

Rub a Dub

• JWoods
    JWoods

In that case, the SOB needed killing...

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Maybe some of the goats started looking good to him since all he had to look forward to when he went home was seeing his sister.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

Interesting, Blondie. It makes sense to me he would've been killed with a sword plus he saw that sword growing up around eden and the angels.

• undercover
    undercover
    Maybe some of the goats started looking good to him since all he had to look forward to when he went home was seeing his sister.

heh heh... I was gonna make a goat f***ing joke but the addition of comparing goats to sister/wife is better...

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Blondie, good stuff you posted, thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit