Murder in the Bible.

by Mall Cop 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

The story of Cain and Able in chapter four of the Bible takes up about sixteen lines or verses of the Bible.

It is arguably history's most famous murder.

But the story is silent about one key detail: the weapon Cain used to kill his brother.

It's not a rock, or a sharpened stone. Yes, there was blood.

And to this day, the world's first murder weapon is still lost to history.

Why has the writer/ writers left this important information out?

Afterall to charge someone with murder you need to have a murder weapon.

Are there any other murders in the Bible where the weapon used is unknown and or lost to history.

Blueblades/Mall Cop

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Afterall to charge someone with murder you need to have a murder weapon.

God was the one making the charges. He makes up his own rules. So, I would have to disagree that he "needed" anything to proceed with trial.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I fail to see the importance of finding the weapon, or even identifying it. Isn't the whole purpose of the story to teach you that treachery, deceit, hate, murder was committed? Finding the weapon, identifying it would only put mythical value to it. Like the spear that pierced Jesus.

An argument like this reminds me of the argument of what Jesus died on, cross or stake. Who cares? What he died on wasn't the point, it was that he did die for us. He could've died any other way without breaking bones in his body and he would have fulfilled prophecy.

Now if it's just that you need to know just to know, than okay... a club?

• JWoods
    JWoods

God liked him better than his brother.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

The murder weapon was God's indifference.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

Perhaps, when he discovered that he'd be forced to marry his sister, he went into a homicidal rage. Or, more likely, he and his brother had a dispute over which sister they would choose.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Hi Leavingwt! I left your response out as that was a given understood about God. I was thinging about man's justice and who was the person that wrote this part of the Bible and how did he come to know this.

Hi Soldierr77! I agree with you that it is not important to find the weapon and the case about what you said about Jesus' death is true.

I put this topic up to see what others thought about it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Blueblades/Mall Cop

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I think a more pertinent question might be, who was Cain worried about killing him? Who was God warning about avenging 77 times anyone killing Cain? According to the story, the only other people on earth were his parents.

In the Gnostic interpretation, Cain is the ego and Abel is the Inner Being or Monad. In metaphysical interpretation, Cain is matter (he cultivated the soil) destroying the Spirit or Life Principle in Abel, who raised livestock. In a literal interpretation, these people did not exist as the human race is more than 75,000 years old.

PS

• undercover
    undercover

CSI: Suburbs of Eden

• blondie
    blondie

Here's one explanation:

The relevant verses are:-

• Gen 4:8-10 KJV And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.[ my emphasis] (v.9) And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? (v.10) And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

The pictures you see in Sunday school etc are of Cain standing over the body of Abel with a massive club, but I believe this is wrong and that Abel was disembowelled by Cain with a knife. However to fully understand the weapon used one must see the preceding verses and understand what led up to it and what it would involve.

How did Cain kill his offering?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit