by naeuca 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome naeuca!

Blessings,

Stephen

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have a PDF of the Elders Flock book as well if you want that.

But Crisis of Conscience is a better read than both those books.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

My aunt used to tell me it was worth it to pioneer just to get to go to pioneer school! I wondered what were they doing there that was so special? Other than getting a week of free buffet luncheons.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i didnt find school that good really... a bit like a real long watchtower/service meeting or something. Same thing...underline the book.

do demonstrations, try out the not that special newly learned teqniques on people. The social side of it was pretty good, but the rest...yuk.

i think pio school was and is used as a tool to keep people in longer...'if i just hang on a bit longer i'll get to go to pio school and get THAT book!' then when you go back the cong love bombs you for your experience and you go for another year...

a way of keeping salesman at it 'full time'.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

actually, now i have thought about it a bit more...

coming back from pio school was hard.

we were lauded as the posesors of some sort secret field service knowledge. Like we had been taught stuff that 'ordinary publishers' were not privy to. We were constantly asked to share our better insights with the publishers who looked at us as some beacon of inspiration. The elders organized meeting parts so we could share the things we had 'learned'.

The pain was trying to please them. we didn't learn anything they were not already getting at the service meetings really. Just more intense with the CO and DO to 'help' you. We were no better equiped then anybody else. It was embaressing trying to think of things to tell them.

oz

• carvin
    carvin

Ann O'Maly is so correct, very few pioneers actually "preach" their full hrs. In the 80's i aux. pioneered for 6 months, I was struck by how many times nobody, and I mean nobody showed up for field service. I worked nights and would go out Sat, Sun, then Mon, Wed, Fri mornings. And at least two days a week I was the only one to show up, litterally. So when i finally stoped pioneering i was told by our loving elders that I was spiritually weak, and yet the invisably present pioneers were our treasures. Go figure

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Ann O'Maly is so correct, very few pioneers actually "preach" their full hrs.

I think that was YKnot. But yes, we had to find ingenious ways of starting or continuing our time. Did we take a coffee break? Leave magazines on the counter. Do we have a long drive to the territory? Grab an unsuspecting passer-by and hand them a leaflet to start our time - so what, if we didn't knock on a door or attempt to speak to another soul for the next 30+ minutes! Etc.

I was a conscientious type who, if I signed up to do 60 hours, I wanted to get my 60 in, so it added to the stress considerably when either people let me down (and I didn't have a car back then) or the weather was abysmal or I had the flu and I'd get behind on my hours. And then when you'd had a few of life's hiccups, you'd bust a gut trying to make up the backlog. That and the dreadful nervousness involved when cold-calling on people - at times it reduced me to tears. It sucked the energy out of me and led to stress-induced ill health. So, even while a 'loyal dubbie' I determined not to put myself through that again.

Some people are born salesmen/women and thrived on pioneering. Not me.

• pirata
    pirata

naeuca and carvin, welcome to the forum!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit