The WTS say they are NOT Creationists........

by cantleave 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

oh, and just to add to the conversation about "creation" - it was always my understanding that they related the creation account to what happened on earth in creating humans, animals and plants. They have as far as I can remember always acknowledged that the universe was created long before humans.

The creationists on the other hand, hold to the literal 6 days for everything.

However - just as a side point- it is possible that God created things in 6 literal days, and made it look like it was millions of years old....not that I agree with that idea. I'm just bringing it up as an interesting possibility.

DS

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You guys need to look in the new creation brochure released at the convention this year. It specifically says that each creative day could have been millions of years.

But the Bible says it was created in 6 days. There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that the Israelites or Christians thought any differently. We can get into faulty dating methods of scientists and the fossil record. But young earth creationists have been able to explain most of the issues that support a millions of year old earth. Some of the best arguments I've heard are from this site: www.answersingenesis.org. Ken Hamm has some great arguments. But of course, it's Bible based. So if you have no respect for the Bible, many of these arguments will not hold any sway to you anyway.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    the new creation brochure released at the convention this year. It specifically says that each creative day could have been millions of years.

I have in my hand the brochure "Was Life Created" ..released this Summer . I have not read it all, but page 26 says :

"Certainly there is no basis in Scripture for arbitrarily stating that each Creative Day was 24 hours long.

How long then were the Creative Days? The Bible does not say : however, the wording of Genesis chapters 1 and 2 indicates that considerable lengths of time were involved"

I have not seen anything more than that

• blondie
    blondie

Hey brotherdan, why not cite the page and paragraph and type out the reference....

Is there a pdf available?

• undercover
    undercover
    You guys need to look in the new creation brochure released at the convention this year. It specifically says that each creative day could have been millions of years.

Brotherdan, that's interesting. Someone else mentioned to me earlier today that they thought they saw where the WTS had said that each creative day could last millions of years.

Of the latest WT publications that I've seen, they've been more coy than that though. They've indicatd that the earth itself could be millions of years old but that each creative day is just "considerable lengths of time" http://www.watchtower.org/e/200609a/article_01.htm

Personally, I'd like to see them put in print that each creative day could be "millions of years" each. Then you can compare that "truth" with the printed "truth" of earlier publications that plainly state that each creative day was 7,000 years each.

Of course the fact that the WTS has waffled this much and you can't still get a braindead dub to see the dishonesty in their writings is indicative enough to konw that even if the WTS did say the creative days were "millions of years" they'd still not blink an eye at the conundrum.

• undercover
    undercover
    I have in my hand the brochure "Was Life Created" ..released this Summer . I have not read it all, but page 26 says :
    "Certainly there is no basis in Scripture for arbitrarily stating that each Creative Day was 24 hours long.

How long then were the Creative Days? The Bible does not say : however, the wording of Genesis chapters 1 and 2 indicates that considerable lengths of time were involved"

hmmm... another interesting tidbit.

The quote from the new brochure reads just like the quote from 2006 Awake! article, Does Science Contradict the Genesis Account, where it says:

Certainly, there is no basis in Scripture for arbitrarily stating that each creative day was 24 hours long.

How long, then, were the creative days? The wording of Genesis chapters 1 and 2 indicates that considerable lengths of time were involved.

I linked to the WT site referencing that article it in the above post, but here it is again: http://www.watchtower.org/e/200609a/article_01.htm

C'mon WT writers... releasing a "new" brochure that has the same exact phrases as a 4 year old Awake! magazine.. that's just lame.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I think another reason the WTS is wishy-washy regarding the length of a "creative day" is that some old-timers at Bethel still believe they're 7,000 years long. See, for example, this classic post by sir82: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/90816/1/Society-once-again-teaches-Creative-days-were-7000-years-each

But by using weasel words, the WTS is able to appease those old-timers and still appear less kooky to the outside world. It's a win-win!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The two new books they have are:

The origin of life: Five questions worth asking

Was Life Created?

They are a step up from ones I have read before.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

This is a good example of how the WT tricks people into thinking it is reasonable, while it really hasn't changed from its previous unreasonable position. Note how the poster read something into the article that simply wasn't there. In my experience this is very common.

It is the reason why you should immediately challenge a JW to produce the article to 'prove it' if they make any claim about any WT position that you think may not be supported by the literature.

My parents are chronic in this regard. It's like a mental disorder with them. If something in the news, the Bible, or even the WT, contradicts their beliefs, they simply read between the lines to let it mean whatever they want. It makes it impossible to have an intelligent discussion about anything.

• onefootout

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit