The WTS say they are NOT Creationists........

by cantleave 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

Then WTF are they?

Why don't they like that term?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I think they may be saying that they are not creationsits in the sense that they don't believe in 6 literal days of creation. They hold to their teaching that each "day" of creation meant millions of years.

Interestingly, there are no other parts of the bible that use the word "day" in which the society disagrees with it's meaning of a literal day. I've never seen any proof that the Hebrews or Christians ever believed that the days of creation were more than literal 24 hour days either.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

They don't like any terms that they didn't come up with themselves. It gives them a feeling of uniqueness. That's why they disfellowship instead of excommunicate, even though they are exactly the same thing.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I haven't read the new brochures in depth yet, but the talk given during the Convention when these were released touched on Creationists. The WTS has always taken swipes at Christendom as they call it. They lump Creationists in with False Religion a la Christendom, so they have differentiate themselves from other factions of Christianity.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Good point Keyser. Is the word "disfellowship" ever found in the Bible?

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    The WTS say they are NOT Creationists.

Ooo, critical mistake. You've assumed the WTS knows what it is talking about.

What they mean to say is that they are not Young Earth Creationists. They are clearly still Old Earth Creationists.

- Lime

• cantleave
    cantleave

Ooo, critical mistake. You've assumed the WTS knows what it is talking about.

PMSL at that comment HOL - thanks!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

JWs have a unique selling point in that, while they take the Bible literally, they don't want to be lumped together with young earth fundamentalists. It means they can claim a modicum of scientific respectability while also maintaining they adhere to the Bible. It's also useful to have the marker that distinguishes them from Creationist groups who are often perceived as being alligned with the American right politically.

• Chalam
    Chalam

keyser soze They don't like any terms that they didn't come up with themselves. It gives them a feeling of uniqueness. That's why they disfellowship instead of excommunicate, even though they are exactly the same thing.

Indeed!

Also, it's part of the "theocratic warfare". Fist time I had JWs in my house I didn't know what half of the WT terms they were talking about referred to.

They blind you with their "science" and hope to get your head nodding in agreement.

Another point is they use biblical terms and twist them out of context into WT speak. For example, biblically an overseer is another word terms for elder but in the WT world it means completely something else.

The biggest one of course is witness which just means one who bears witness to something. However, for the JW every time they read that word in their bibles (and the others such as overseer) they have an affirmation they are following the "one true religion". The kool aid is working its magic

Blessings,

Stephen

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Because the are bullshittists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit