What difference does it make?

by dssynergy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

That is indeed my question. what difference does it make what we believe? Seems like a lot of people are motivated to believe the "right" thing to avoid punishment. But in my view - if death is like going to sleep - then what is the harm in that? Either you go to sleep and stay asleep, or you go to sleep and get woken up to watch the next chapter in our saga unfold.

And, while i'm here - if the world was going to be a Paradise (which I know many here feel is inaccurate), what are we going to do after everyone is perfect? What is the real reason we are here?

Discuss.

:-) DS

• crapola
    crapola

I've wondered the same thing and have no idea what the answer is. Sorry :(

• Chalam
    Chalam

If you are going to believe, you need to get it right.

Hebrews 9:27 (New International Version)

27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment

Acts 20:29-31 (New International Version)

29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

2 Peter 3:16-18 (New International Version)

16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

17 Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

According to Jesus, there is one way only.

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Luke 13:22-27 (New International Version)

The Narrow Door
    22 Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23 Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

He said to them, 24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25 Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'
    "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

26 "Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'

27 "But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

John 10:7-10 (New International Version)

7 Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Gayle
    Gayle

I think that is a personal reflection as individuals, day to day, phase to phase, in life. We can only do our best and unfortunately, our "best" is not constant either. Our motivator should not be because of some external punishment. I read this, in fact, today that caught my attention:

Some people fight for what is right every day. They never completely win, and they never completely lose, but the world is a better place because they engage in the fight.

Of course, we have to be very selective about our personal fight and make sure it is not somebody else's.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

It only makes a difference if it matters to you to follow a myth or not. If you feel better knowing that you dont know than believing something you dont know.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    a lot of people are motivated to believe the "right" thing to avoid punishment.

I can only answer for myself, dear dssynergy (peace to you!): I no longer simply believe. When I simply believed, it was because I didn't know the truth. Now that I DO know the truth, however, I simply cannot deny it... nor can I simply deny him. Because he is the Truth and what he tells me is the Truth. Denying that... who and what I now know would be denying the truth... on all levels. Which I did, for many years. True, I didn't KNOW I was doing it, but I know that, now. And now that I do know... I can no longer do it (deny the truth). I simply can't.

MY motivation, therefore, is not FEAR... but LOVE... of the truth... and FOR the Truth... who has given it to me. I love him, because I now KNOW him.

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cantleave
    cantleave

Shelby - what happens to an unbeliever like me? Should I fear my destiny?

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

I like this post. The real reasom we are here is to physically manifest ourselves in the universe. Angels are only spirit creatures. We are spirit creatures in a body. We get to interect with the universe through a tactile manner.

After we are perfect we begin our mission to spread through the universe. Filling everywhere we live with different cultures foods and peoples. My idea of a good time!!!

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

cantleave An unbeliever like you is that way because of a reason. If the reason is a good one and you have done everything in your life to always find truth and give love then you got no worries. All that guilt crap is for the followers of the whore.

• flipper
    flipper

DYSSENERGY- I feel there doesn't have to be a reason to be here. Just enjoy the ride and smell the roses of life as we exist. Enjoy the good times. I think each human beings reasons for being here will unfold to each of us as time goes on. Some of us are " humanists " we want to proactively help others think with freedom of mind. Some of us are into saving animals. Some of us are into computers. Some are into religion, some are not. Point I'm making is we all have a interest which we feel deeply about . What might be important to one person, isn't for the next person. I feel that life is about finding out what you're passionate about and seeking it to the benefit of yourself and others. Not for any future " reward " - but just enjoying each day is reward enough in itself

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit