"Come Be My Follower" - Christendom is bad for sponsoring charities and feeding the poor - what?

by Bonnie_Clyde 38 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Ditto - jwfacts.

It so annoying because... really... how can you argue with people who come up with something like that?

Tammy

• man in black
    man in black

this illustration was created only to defend themselves

I like the good samaritan post, it completely nullifies the wt position.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Blind guides (may you all have peace!): they don't "see" how the account relates to them. Such hypocrites never do, though.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• life is to short
    life is to short

It reminds me of when my husband had his second heart attack and the PO's wife was upset that I even called her to let her know because she had to go out in service, she never did come to see me or my husband in the hospital and he was in ICU for three days, nor did she call to even see how he or I were doing because she had to go find new sheep. My husband was a fellow elder what about the average poor Joe publisher if that is how they treat one of their own as an elder.

LITS

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

It is amazing how JW's can justify the most unloving and hurtful practices - often from just one or two scriptures - and then go on to condemn those doing the loving and merciful things the bible commands in over a dozen scriptures (thanks NeonMadman). Absolutely incredible.

How can there be any doubt that among Christians they do not follow the true spirit of the scriptures?

- Lime

• AGuest
    AGuest

"By their FRUITS... you will know them."

Again, peace to all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• agonus
    agonus

'how can you argue with people who come up with something like that'?

May I suggest, rather than arguing with them, actually AGREEING with them to show them how insipid this statement is. For example:

'Yes, that's right. It makes Jesus ANGRY when he sees people feeding the hungry and healing the sick in his name, even though that's exactly what He himself did'.

Doesn't that work much better?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Is it just the late hour affecting me, or is there genuine irony in the WT using window-washing as a bad example?

The problem with this WT book is yet another false dichotomy. Charity vs. teaching the Gospel isn't an either/or choice; "both" is the answer. Baby sitters can look after the children properly and help out with some cleaning after putting them to bed; these are what parents call "good" baby sitters whom they will hire over and over again. Likewise most churches don't practice charity to the exclusion of everything else, they teach the Gospel and also go out in the world to put Jesus' teachings into action. The popular expression is "practice what you preach": Christians do it, hypocrites don't.

• agonus
    agonus

That is ironic, GL. Notice she made "repairs to the house" as well. Now what would be REALLY ironic would be if she fixed the plumbing and cleaned the bathroom as well... or maybe gave the kids some kind of 'homeopathic" medicine... and ripped up their school textbooks....

OK, even the WT isn't THAT obvious.

• tec
    tec

Doesn't that work much better?

I can never come up with something clever when my emotions are involved. But that actually works quite well.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit