Let us discuss HOLY

by Terry 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

The room is dark. You are a child. You've heard spooky stories about ghosts and monsters. What does your imagination produce when you hear a strange noise in the dark?

You've heard spooky stories about ghosts and monsters, and then the fear of dark produces those ghosts and monsters. But you had to hear about those stories to imagine something coming from them. So my question still is: how did the existence of supernatural evolve from something purely natural? Our imaginings are all based on something that we heard or saw, that was based on something someone else heard or saw before that, that was based on something before that.

Do you know of someone who has imagined something completely new (not an evolution of thought, but completely totally new)? I don't, but I'm limited by the people and experiences I've had, so I'm asking.

Tammy

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

What supernatural wisdom or insight unavailable to the world of man at the time of writing can you give me?...

revelation 14:6-7

love michelle

• tec
    tec

Allowing ourselves to get close to the flame is a dangerous game, because though truth is often pretty it can also be ugly.

I don't think the truth about ourselves (or others) is particularly pretty when we find it. But we can't go about fixing it up until we find and face it. I would always rather see the truth (ugly or not, even in myself) than turn a blind eye to it.

Harder in the short run; better in the long run.

Tammy

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

We are utterly delude. The problem is that once free of our illusions, our purpose as humans vanishes.

We are in fact a waste of space; a strange destructive species that lives in anxiety and fear of death. We think that we are the solution, when in fact we are the problem.

Viewing ourselves as Holy or special is our greatest delusion.

This seems to be the conclusion of one that views the world as honestly has he can.

Yet another, equally honest, sees meaning and purpose and a movement in this same world. By extension as a part of it, humans too.

Allowing ourselves to get close to the flame is a dangerous game, because though truth is often pretty it can also be ugly.

Even the ugliness, when viewed as part of the whole thing, is beautiful.

BTS

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Terry,

You have terrific insight. I agree with you that when they put the tag holy on to ancient writings it gave it something more meaning than super ,smashing ,terrific.

It's a bit like when the king of a country said " from now on call me Your majesty "or " Your Royal Highness " It didn't make the king a different person it it just gave him extra aura in the eyes of the great unwashed. The king might have been a great leader or he might have been a dimbo but with those titles he had that extra wow factor and respect. Of course it called for obedience as well.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Tammy and Burns, I appreciate your comments and way you share your hope and optimism with this forum. I am feeling brighter today and shall endeavour to be less morbid.

Terry sees faith as an illusion. I do myself but I personally see that faith has value, as illusion often does. It is not my choice to live without faith. Believe me I have tried to join the party but find myself unable to dance to the music.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

First off, the world in Jesus' day was populated by few persons with the money or education to enable them to create, own or even read books.

It was considereded impractical and unnecessary to possess a library at home. It was an oral society. In Judaism, attending synagogue and watching the Rabbi heft the ponderous scroll open to a particular passage an read from it was enough to convince your average Jew that "holy"was

was for formal settings.

Which doesn't really negate anything I said about the NT documents having been circulated widely right from the time they were written. We have thousands of manuscripts, some dating from within decades of the originals. It seems only logical to conclude that, in a time when persecution was common, there were far more copies that have not survived than those that have. The issue is not whether the copies were made for liturgical purposes or for home libraries; the point is that they were made, and that they were made because those making them saw them as valuable, right from the beginning.

As far as martyrs dying for something as PROOF of legitimacy---you have to be kidding right? Those Arab terrorists who flew airliners into the World Trade Center must have proved the Muslim religion is true---by that reasoning!!

Not at all. They were dying for something they had been taught was true, not for something they had personally witnessed. The apostles of Christ were in a position to know whether what they were preaching was true or not. They were present for the events in question. If Jesus was a phony, if someone had stolen the body and faked the resurrection, they were in a position to know about it. Someone might well be willing to die for a lie that they didn't know was a lie, but it would take a lunatic to be willing to die for a lie he knew to be untrue. Unless the Muslims who flew the planes on 9/11 knew Mohammad personally, there is no parallel. That's why I inserted the parenthetical expression in my comment - because I knew you might "parrot" (to use your term) the stock answer to my statement from various atheist writings, and you didn't fail me.

You need to sit down and THINK about what you are regurgitating straight out of Lee Strobel's Case for Christ before you parrot it aloud.

I've never read Strobel's book, so I'm not sure how I could be "parroting" anything from it. I have heard the argument about the Arabs flying planes into the tower from lots of other sources, though, so apparently I'm not the only one capable of parroting.

There is NO HISTORICAL SUPPORT for the fact the autograph copies of the scriptures DO NOT EXIST?

Um, no, that's not what I said. There is no historical support for your assertion that the only possible reason that the autographs do not exist is that they were seen as valueless by those alive when they were created, and were therefore somehow discarded. That position is not only without historical support, it's illogical. If the autographs were not valued in their time so as to be discarded, why would anyone have valued them enough to make copies of them? If your assertion were true, we should have no manuscripts, no copies, no record at all that they ever existed.

Furthermore, there are better reasons to explain why they don't exist, especially in the light of historical accounts that tell us that Christians went to their graves as martyrs rather than give up their manuscripts of Scripture. The Roman government, at times, attempted to wipe out Christianity, and certainly this would have included destroying as many of their documents as possible.

The oral society in Jesus day which embraced the Jesus story as miraculous had come to the end of their rope as Jews. The Jewish religion was on its last viable leg under the corrupt Hasmonean dynasty of Herod and was being torn asunder by the Sicarii on one side and Apocalyptic mystery cults on the other. Accepting Jesus as THE Messianic answer to the problem was practically a no brainer for these persons "willing to die" for their beliefs. The stories they heard purported to represent supernatural miracles as attending the ministry of Jesus. How low or how high was each person's threshold of acceptance of such a statement? How logical, how skeptical, how investigative do you think the average Jewish peasant really was??

An interesting theory, but it strikes me as being ad hoc. It certainly fits the position you wish to advance. Have you any historical evidence for this process among the Jewish Christians? Because all of the early church history with which I am familiar tells a very different story.

• Terry
    Terry

So my question still is: how did the existence of supernatural evolve from something purely natural? Our imaginings are all based on something that we heard or saw, that was based on something someone else heard or saw before that, that was based on something before that.

Do you know of someone who has imagined something completely new (not an evolution of thought, but completely totally new)? I don't, but I'm limited by the people and experiences I've had, so I'm asking.

Do you watch horror movies? How do the creators come up with those weird creatures?

It is simple imagination.

The more you open it up; the more fantastic the possibility.

It is a talent.

Star Wars cantina scene is a good example.

The Jewish folk monster (Golem) was their Frankenstein monster.

The descriptions of beasts in the Bible are chimeric and imaginative.

I imagine anybody who grew up around livestock eventually saw the birth of a monster. That would trigger "possibility."

Usually nature aborts such things. But, not always.

• Terry
    Terry

The issue is not whether the copies were made for liturgical purposes or for home libraries; the point is that they were made, and that they were made because those making them saw them as valuable, right from the beginning.

No, the point is accurate vs counterfeit.

If you have ten million counterfeit twenty dollar bills and only one genuine twenty dollar bill: does the quantity indicate legitimacy? NO!

You are possibly overlooking the most essential point yet again! ORAL stories cannot be verified. Oral stories retold undergo changes.

The more times a story is retold the more changes. Every family has such a story. Uncle Fred caught that fish and it was THISSSSSSS BIGGGGGG.

By the time the story is written down and recopied the transmission is subject to "pious fraud" whereby a perfectly honest persom with no malice aforethought tries to "correct" something and make it more understandable. Scribes did this constantly. The "clarification" makes the new copy changed. Any change is aberration. Aberration is counterfeit. With no originals we cannot possible weed out the layers of centuries of pious fraud by unintentional "helpers".

• Terry
    Terry

Not at all. They were dying for something they had been taught was true, not for something they had personally witnessed. The apostles of Christ were in a position to know whether what they were preaching was true or not. They were present for the events in question. If Jesus was a phony, if someone had stolen the body and faked the resurrection, they were in a position to know about it.

Missing the point yet again!

The apostles didn't understand a thing Jesus said or taught! That is continuously obvious. They were plain, simple people eager to believe, follow and act. The were NOT in a position to judge the veracity of what would eventually be told or written down. Why? Because it happened AFTER them.

Do you understand that? What was written came AFTER. The were NOT present for the events in question. Take the garden of Gethsemane, for one instance. They were ASLEEP. Every one of them. Who was listening and copying down Jesus prayer to his father?? Nobody. Nobody at all. It is a fictional construction of a writer and nothing more.

Which apostle was standing there when Jesus spoke to Pilot or Herod? None of them. It is a fictional account.

You are confusing what you read (which was written much later after many changes, additions and retellings) and superimposing on top of the actual Apostles. Think about it.

They were NOT present at the resurrection. It isn't even clear who was at the tomb.

The sightings of Jesus are part of the story we read NOW which we can't say with any certainty wasn't Added later to "clarify". We JUST CAN'T KNOW or judge or be certain because there is no possible way to compare our bible with any missing originals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit