R.I.P Daniel

by Mattieu 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Every time I hear the following song by Elton John, I have to pull over and shed a tear or two or twenty and think of all the other people like me who lost a brother whose name was Daniel...

My Brother Daniel would have turned 40 today August 6 (Southern Hemisphere time).

I sadly lost Daniel when I was 5 and he was 4 .... I still have vivid memories and photographs, yet sadly due to the religion that is called the Jehovah’s Witnesses have not yet fully grieved or coped with my younger brother’s death in a road accident.

I have never spoken to anyone outside my family about Daniel’s death as I was raised up with the view that as a young person I would witness any day now the resurrection of my dear little brother. Not a week goes by when I do not visit his gravesite at Fawkner Cemetary looking for closure or the fact that I may never see him in the “new system”. I remember when another younger brother of mine at the age of 13 decided to stop attending the meetings of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I accused him of not loving Daniel, as staying in “the truth” was the only way he would see Daniel again..... How I regret my insensitive and spiteful words, I still can pitcure where I was saying them as a teenager...

My Mum sadly is clinging to this religion despite all its flip flops and hypocritical actions for only one reason, to see her son again based on the ressurection hope of Daniel. She still says 36 years down the track "I would have not have coped with Daniels death if it wasnt for the truth".... A truth based on lies. So many people are still hanging on to this cult due to a fear factor or a "what if" factor...

How we learn and grow in wisdom with years.... posting this will no doubt “out” me to the many lurkers here in Melbourne whom I know lurk on behalf of the Australian Bethel. I have already been shunned by my family for being inactive and it has cost me my marriage for not holding onto these truths, how ironic for a religion which boasts that it has fought it’s battle for freedom of speech all the way to the US Supreme Court on numerous occasions yet does not allow its followers the same freedom of speech.

Sadly, my father who was never a JW, has never learned to grieve or cope with the loss of his son due to this religion...

Anywho, i don’t want my deceased brother’s birthday to be hijacked by my rant on this cult. Sadly I don’t post on this board as much as I want, yet I always check on the site and read all the posts and appreciate and respect all comments as I realise all our opinions come from different angles, upbringings and circumstances which sadly mould our mental character.......

Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
    I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
    Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
    God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

They say Spain is pretty though I've never been
    Well Daniel says it's the best place that he's ever seen
    Oh and he should know, he's been there enough
    Lord I miss Daniel, oh I miss him so much

Daniel my brother you are older than me
    Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal
    Your eyes have died but you see more than I
    Daniel you're a star in the face of the sky

Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane
    I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
    Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
    God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes
    Oh God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

Thanks for reading this far.

Cheers, Matty, (Though the French version Mattieu sounds much sexier....)

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

(((((Mattieu))))))

RIP Daniel

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That had to have been so hard for you. So young to have a brother missing. I remember how attached my youngest brother and I were when I was 5 and he was 3. I would have wasted away with a broken heart.

Try making an online memorial for Daniel. I did that for my brother and it helped with my delayed grief. FindAGrave.com is free. You can do a search and find my brother's memorial. HIs name was Cory Fridge. He died at 22, when I was 17 and I began studying two months later. It really messed up my grief process. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=fridge&GSfn=cory&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=8934955&df=all&

• nelly136
    nelly136

((((matt))))

i hope you and your other brother you mentioned get on ok now?

(Though the French version Mattieu sounds much sexier....)

yup it does

• rocketman
    rocketman

Mattieu, I've heard that song a million times, and now it takes on more meaning. Very touching story, and I am sorry about the loss of your brother!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Mattieu,

Very touching. Sorry for the loss of your brother.

I also have a brother named Daniel, and although he is alive and well, we have grown distant over time. Your post reminded me of how we should cherish and appreciate what we have and how precious life and family are...

Thank you!

-Yan

• snowbird
    snowbird

(((((((Mattieu)))))))

I love that song!

Syl

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Thanks BP, will definitely catch up over a glass of chards on my next NSW sales trip!

Flying High Now, I feel your loss too, I checked out your online memorial for Cory and will be sure to do the same over the next few days for Daniel. Much appreciated Will PM you once done.

Nelly 136, I should really be in bed now (2:03am Firday morning), just had to let you know that my other younger brother and I are in a good place. His birthday is actually August 7, one day after my brother Daniel (though a couple of years apart). So his upbringing has probably been more difficult due to that close date of birth yet distant memories.....

And yes, even croissant sounds sexier with a French accent..... adieu... Mattieu...

Rocketman, thanks buddy, I have been in so many countries and heard that song and I wonder if Elton wrote that song for my brother! In fact, everytime I am on a runway waiting to take off/landing, i think of that song and the verse of tailights of the plane.... Thanks again Rocketman for thinking of me and posting your thoughts. Matty.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Yan, Daniel is a beautiful name, we are both fortunate to have a brother by that name... I hope things become less distant between you and your Daniel, for whatever the reason... Let me know how things work out..... Life really is precious, thank you for the reminder. Right back at you....

Snowbird, I always appreciate your posts and comments though do not always get the time to express my appreciation. Your hug was felt down here.... Cheers, Matty...

• cantleave
    cantleave

(((((Mattieu)))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit