Is the Bible Authentic?

by chron82 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Good point about foreshadowing the Transfiguration scene.

My understanding for the books not written by Paul, Peter or James is not that these books were a hoax. Literary conventions were very different. It was common for all writers of any book to appropriate a famous name to show your allegiance or your education. It wasn't a scam. The scholarship on these books not written by the named apostle is solid. I wonder if the Witnesses have ever alluded to it.

The Bible was not the Bible we know. Many Christians recognizing the differences among the various gospels wanted one gospel combining all elements. I assume w/o the differences highlighted. Others insisted the truth required all four versions. I've never read the actual writings from the canonizing process. Many, many gospels existed. I have no idea why these particular four gospels were chosen.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There is an excellent book by Bruce Metzger in regards to the canonization process ( the NT canon) and another one by the same author about the transmission, corruption and restoration of the NT texts ( That is the name of the book actually).

I highly recommend them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit