As a JW kid, did you wish you could join the girl guides/scouts?

by highdose 23 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes. I wanted to go camping and learn all those neat camping things with other kids.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, I wanted to be just like my friends. I got my kids involved with the scouts and they love it.

• yknot
    yknot

The girl scout thing is a major issue from my childhood.......

My mom promised to let me do scouting (every female since GS started has been a GS-except me!)

We moved and she broke her promise---- If I think too much about it I will burst into tears even now.

_______

To lessen my pain, I enrolled my daughter in GS!.....

She loves it!

We invite JWkids on some of our outings too!

Son will also do Boy Scouts when he is old enough!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I was lucky in the sense that I was not a witless when I was growing up, and I joined the Cub Scouts when I was a "Bear Scout" for curiosity. And, their primary mission seemed to be a glorified arts and crafts class. We spent more time working on crafts than anything else. I spent two years, or part thereof, in this. We did have a few trips originating from school, and we participated in the Memorial Day parade. But, this is not just about joining the military, as the witlesses like to say.

Anyone familiar with the Scout's motto knows "Be prepared" is more than just joining the military. Suppose you find yourself out in the woods, and you get lost. Being prepared makes the difference between finding civilization or dying out in the wilderness. It is also possible to be hiking and find someone else that is lost, or hurt--and help that person back to civilization. Being prepared can make the difference between making it through a severe storm and being seriously hurt or killed in the same storm. Being prepared means having what you need on hand in case the lights go out, such as happened in August 2003. Since when is that an act of war or nationalism?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit