As a JW kid, did you wish you could join the girl guides/scouts?

by highdose 23 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

Also known as cubs and brownies i belive. I always wanted to join them when i was a child. I had freinds at school who were in and loved hearing the tales of what they got up to. The cook outs and the camping trips etc. Whats more i could see that they were also learning some very valauble life skills too.

But of course i wasn't allowed to join why?:

1) because it would take up the time that should have been spent preparing for the meetings

2) because insitutions like that were only there to prepare children to join the army! Thats why they exisited!

Shame theres not an adult version of the girl guides! I'd join it now...

• wobble
    wobble

Yup.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

I did!

• nelly136
    nelly136

my mum used go on about the brownies and guides and tell me what i was missing and what a shame jws didnt allow it, but i cant say it really apealed.

i was allowed to join the swimming club and trained to both stamina/speed competing standard, but not to actually compete cos that would be worldly and clash with meetings.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

In elementary school, I was just about the only girl who wasn't a girl scout. They would all come to school in their uniforms decorated with the emblems and buttons they earned. As usual, I was the odd one out.

Coffee

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Yes I really wanted to join,as my friend at shool was in the brownies. She used to tell me what fun they had and lots of outdoor activities and camping sleeping in tents learning useful skills. I know I would have loved it.

For a few years of my early childhood my dad had left and my mum was on her own she was letting us do more. I remember I was in the Christmas play at school and she was letting me join in other activities. But then after a few years she started doing more as a sister from the congregation who was very uba uba zealous took over and we virtually couldn't move. I wanted to go on a trip with the school for two weeks and at first my mum said yes you can go. I was so excited but then this sister put a stop to it and convinced my mum not to send me.

Then my dad moved back when I was about 12 and then things got even worse I couldn't do anything. I was a virtual prisoner at home. I only went to school or the meetings. He wouldn't allow me to have a radio or to read any other books apart from the Jw books or school books. Fortunately there was a great library at my secondary school so I used to spend my lunch hour in their getting through all sorts of books.

But when I got married and had a child I found myself being controlled again and my parents still managed to interfere with my life. As did others in the congregation and there were things I did not allow her to do at school especially because there were others from the congregation who had their kids at the school watching every thing you did.

My daughter wanted to join the girl guides and other activities and it was happening all over again with everyone controlling what I did. I feel so guilty now that I let myself be brainwashed and controlled. I feel guilty that I didn't let her do more even though I knew how horrible it was at school when you couldn't join in and I missed out on so much. My daughter has forgiven me [Borhater on the board] but it doesn't help.

RosePetal

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Yes, i have forgiven you mum...but only just grrrr!!

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Only joking mumsie, have a big hug xx

• life is to short
    life is to short

Yes I would have died to join. The funny thing is my parents let my older sister who is six years older join so I got to hear of all the fun stuff she did then when I got old enough to join it was against our religion

LITS

• life is to short
    life is to short

Yes I would have died to join. The funny thing is my parents let my older sister who is six years older join so I got to hear of all the fun stuff she did then when I got old enough to join it was against our religion

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit