Anne Rice Quits Christianity!

by Inkie 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

"But following Christ does not mean following His followers."

I agree with her statement there. Wish I could say that to a dub in a serious conversation without getting named an apostate.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Why'd she feel the need to come out and say she's quiting Christianity? Couldn't she just quit? She could fade without any fallout, right?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It is all over her facebook page. I saw it yesterday on my notifications.

Don't know a lot about her transformation to or from Christianity. I doubt this is a PR stunt - she seems sincere on the subject and reflects my sentiments. She probably just got fed up with the self-righteous judges of that horrible faith.

Jeff

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Why'd she feel the need to come out and say she's quiting Christianity? Couldn't she just quit? She could fade without any fallout, right?

Which is why I suspected self-promotion in all this.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Why'd she feel the need to come out and say she's quiting Christianity?

She's a celebrity. Perhaps she realized it was best to get HER side of things out... before the tabloids... and "christians" did...

Peace!

SA

• changeling
    changeling

Reminds me of Sue Monk Kidd's journey away from traditional Christianity in "The Dance of the Dissident Daughter". They both realize they can't be "good Chistians" and yet champion women's rights, gay rights, respect for all faiths and other non-Christian causes. Good for them! :)

• JWoods
    JWoods

While I am not myself a christian, I somehow felt the need (in the name of fairness) to point out that many active christians do not hold anti-womens rights, anti-gay, anti-outside faith, and other such negative beliefs.

For one thing, the Episcopal church has ordained women and IIRC performed gay marriage. The Catholics have made several proclamations recently which show tolerance of other faiths. Plus -

(Rice) said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Anti-Democrat? That is just so far away from reality that it does not even deserve comment.

Anti-Science? Many churches allow for evolution and many scientists are christians. They no longer think the earth is the center of the universe, for example.

Comments from any Christians on board here?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Anti-Democrat? That is just so far away from reality that it does not even deserve comment.

Comments from any Christians on board here?

Well, she's generalizing, but its understandable. When you think Republican, one of the handful of demographics you think of would be church going Christians. They tend to be one of the more vocal than other conservatives.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, she's generalizing, but its understandable. When you think Republican, one of the handful of demographics you think of would be church going Christians. They tend to be one of the more vocal than other conservatives.

More vocal, perhaps from some who have a political agenda. But it is largely a stereotype from the left. For example, isn't it a fact that most Catholics vote with the Democrats?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

More vocal, perhaps from some who have a political agenda. But it is largely a stereotype from the left. For example, isn't it a fact that most Catholics vote with the Democrats?

That's probably true on the northern east coast, but everywhere else, the south, midwest, northwest, if they claim to be of a Christian denomination, chances are they're Republican too. I think Anne Rice is from Lousiana, so I'm thinking its more conservative down there. Even the Democrats would be your old school Thurmond/Byrd types. I live in a conservative state, and the churches and church leaders have influence on voting. They tend to swing more conservative too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit