Anne Rice Quits Christianity!

by Inkie 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Inkie
    Inkie

A friend of my sent me this CNN news story. Thought I share.

Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Rice then added another post explaining her decision on Thursday:

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”

My friend wrote:

Hmmmm. I keep trying to think of something clever or witty to say, but I cannot. I just thought you’d resonate to her state of mind, having read at least one of her books, and, more importantly, having given up on Man’s Worst Creation.

Okay, that gives me an idea: God’s greatest creation? Man. Man’s worst creation? Religion.

NPR Story can be found here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128930526

--Inkie

• JWoods
    JWoods

She sounds pretty screwed up to me. Could this be a publicity stunt?

Disclaimer - I am not a fan. I thought her vampire books were just about the most boring things you could imagine on that subject.

• Deceived
    Deceived

Good for HER!!! That woman is the most amazing writer but her books got boring when she became a Christian!! Maybe now she can write like herself again now that she is allowing herself to think freely with no Religious oppressers criticizing her.

I loved her Mayfair Witch Series, Incredibly good writing.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Not much of a fan but I agree with her take on Christianity. It is a personal thing, not an organizational thing.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

With these details in mind, we can easily create a list of other religions that she won't be joining.

• JWoods
    JWoods

With these details in mind, we can easily create a list of other religions that she won't be joining.

Maybe she could find a place with the Unitarians - they pretty much let you believe anything...but still call yourself christian if you want -

• Inkie
    Inkie

The most interesting statement to me (and in which I totally agree) was:

It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group.

For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

As well as:

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic

believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean

following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or

might become.”

--Inkie

• Terry
    Terry

Oh well, she tried at least. Perry would be proud of her effort.

• JWoods
    JWoods

As the cynic that I am, I am still calling it a PR stunt.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, my dear brother in Christ, Inkie... and the greatest love and peace to you!

I am not necessarily a "fan" of Ann Rice's works (although I did think that Kirsten's Dundst's role in "Interview With the Vampire" was spectacular - I could have done without everyone else's, though... and, yes, I know, that was merely a movie based on the book)... but I have always been a little impressed with her... well, I'll just say it... "cahones." And her statements here are no exception.

I am not sure it's a publicity stunt: sshe wasn't really very "welcomed" by "Christianity" before she "became a Christian, to the contrary, actually, so I'm not sure who she would be trying to impress. No, I think she's just being honest... and open about that honesty... come hell or highwater. Just as she was with her books (which I understand to have become quite watered-down after she "found christianity"... which "christianity" tends to make one do).

I'm of the mind to take her at face value (why not?) and give her the benefit the doubt that, as an INTELLIGENT woman, she eventually saw through the BS, too. Because for some, it just really doesn't take that long.

Again, peace to you!

Your servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit