CO Arrangement Ending?!

by Doubtfully Yours 29 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

It would certainly make sense economically, and it definitely reduces liability, to have a sort of "local super-elder" who serves as a quasi-CO, rather than a traveling representative who (a) costs lots of $$$ to insure and support and (b) is a direct traceable link between the congregations and the WTS.

I'm sure the legal dept. and the accounting dept. would love such a switch.

However, it would also mean a loosening of control, which is probably the reason it has not been implemented up until now.

With the death of Jaracz, it will be interesting to see if this long-rumored potential change becaomes a reality.

• blondie
    blondie

In this area they have 2 local elders that function as COs at least twice a year when COs are at training, on vacation, doing the pioneer school, even having an operation and recovering. If it becomes harder and harder to recruit elders as COs, I can see their using these local substitute COs more and more.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I know there are plenty of Elders and Ministerial Servants who'd be thrilled if this arrangement was terminated. No more extra meetings, arranging people to feed him, getting up earlier in the morning for field service, arranging for someone to work with his wife, driving all the way to the KH to meet with the congregation, and then driving all the way to the territory, etc..

• designs
    designs

These guys will get the minimum in Social Security here, who knows what will happen abroad. There sure as heck is no Retirement Fund or Home for them at Wallkill NY.

• yknot
    yknot

This rumor has it's roots in Spain...... The WTS is required to pay social security now just like the RCC...... The WTS shutdown and is selling of Spanish Bethel to avoid/lessen taxation... Originally the idea was to create CO-Lites...from COBOES in each circuitt. They would visit as volunteers (Uber-privilege) to give talks & check paperwork... This would allow the CO to get a job similiar to the Mormon equivelent. Said changes were to start 2011.....question is when if at all. Personally, I think it is a good idea but there has never been confirmaton this has gained approval beyond committe concept.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

How are they going to rally the R&F to do more on those 2 weeks a year? Previously they'd pretend to be uber-spiritual and all turn up on FS and at meetings - that'll change immediately.

How will the R&F ever know who's going to be appointed next if they're not giving talks during the CO visits.

How will sisters ever be considered for special honour if they can't make a meal for the CO & his wife or take the CO's wife on their studies? Or how will those young teenagers not be encouraged to reach out by being allowed to do the microphone duty on the CO visit?

How will shepherding ever get done if the threat of a CO visit doesn't strike fear into the heart of every elder to actually do their assigned duties?

MMXIV

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    How will shepherding ever get done if the threat of a CO visit doesn't strike fear

It isn't being done now.....No groups, no interest !

BTW this was one of the threads on this subject a couple of years ago

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/158643/1/The-End-of-Circuit-Overseers

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Yknot, I didn't know about that happening in Spain. My guess is that the Borg will use Spain as a trial run for the new procedures, get the kinks worked out, then if they like it they will implement it in other branches. Looks like nothing is likely to happen worldwide on this front for a couple years, then.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The Organization has come up with some pretty innovative ways of saving a buck, but definitely I don't see them doing away with the CO arrangement. It's too vital a piece for the smooth running of the whole religious empire.

I'd love to see them get a part-time gig, though, so that they understand the real world and make a contribution to it. I hear they're quite the stiff load on the congregations. Actually, I know for a fact as I've seen the various receipts they turn in to the guy that keeps the accounting in the congregation (such guys have been different within my family). I know first hand they could certainly cut down on their expensive way of living at the expense of us the working class in the cong.

Part-time jobs for them!

DY

• wobble
    wobble

The Circuit Overseer title is going, he will now still be the C.O, but known as the Cult Overseer.

This is a move towards more openness and honesty on the part of the WT,

(and exists only in my fevered imagination.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit