Jehovah Witness sues Employer

by wasblind 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

So... wrapping xmas gifts didn't bother her conscience, but wearing a Santa hat while wrapping xmas presents did? WTF?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Paleeaze. An attorney will file anything if it had even a zero chance to stick

...except for the fact that it is the EEOC that is filing against the company...

So... wrapping xmas gifts didn't bother her conscience, but wearing a Santa hat while wrapping xmas presents did? WTF?

...no different than working for a grocery store wherein a JW would stock/sell cigarettes.

The company screwed up by trying to force her religiously participate via holiday-specific clothing.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

JT,

The employer is at a no win here.

If they ask her to share EQUALLY the workload, dressed EQUALLY as everyone else, thy are at fault.

If they exclude her from the participation, seems like the other employees' EQUALITY is at danger, one might argue.

What if ALL employees simultaneously developed a problem with the attire? Where does that leave the employer?

All this over the whims of some old farts in Brooklyn.

-Yan

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wordly People can only wrap Christmas Presents at Christmas..

Jehovah`s Witness`s can wrap Christmas Presents all through the year..

........................... ...OUTLAW

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

WTWizard, I think you should be called in as an "expert witness". A testimony like you just presented should make them hang their deceitful heads in shame.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Other news sources say that it was not wrapping that she objected to , rather having to wear a Santa Hat and apron. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission have brought the case. It sounds right to me although we do not know all the facts

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/07/26/daily30.html

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The employer is at a no win here.

No they arent. One does not need to be dressed in costume in order to wrap gifts. Wrapping gifts is what her employer hired her to do. She was willing to perform her job duties.

The employer erred in the it fired her because she would not participate in the employer's religious holidays by dressing in costume.

dressed EQUALLY as everyone else

..doesn't apply, because this is dealing with a religious issue. ...no one can be compelled to adopt religious customs by an employer or the government.

If they exclude her from the participation, seems like the other employees' EQUALITY is at danger, one might argue.

Nope. The other employees are equally free to wear or refuse to wear religious garb. She still must perform her work duties, so the other employees are not harmed or treated unequally.

What if ALL employees simultaneously developed a problem with the attire? Where does that leave the employer?

The employer would be just fine if all the gift-wrappers refused to wear religious garb. The employer hired them to perform gift-wrapping. One does not need to be in costume to wrap gifts.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I totally agree with you JT.

The issue is religious freedom and if the employer fired this woman for not wearing a Santa hat while wrapping Christmas presents then the employer is in the wrong. All facts will be presented in a court before a judge and the law should be upheld.

As an employer myself, I think it would be nice for any prospective employee to tell me up front what their religious restrictions are regarding their job. If this woman hired in to wrap Christmas gifts, it would have been nice if she would have told her employer what she was willing to do and what she would not do in this job capacity.

If she was hired to do something else in the dept. store and was transferred to gift wrapping then some preliminary communication would have been nice on both parties parts.

It will all come out in the court.

LD

• wasblind
    wasblind

Justita,

an elf is not a religious symbol, and has nothing to do with religion

wrapping holiday and birthday gifts are a part of what JW"s are against

and she knowingly took the Job. I feel every employer is at risk when they hire

a JW because they are also encouraged to violate privacy policies in the medical field.

• wasblind
    wasblind

If you are against birthdays and holidays why not abstain from anything associated with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit