Personals

by jayhawk1 28 Replies latest social relationships

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

From History Laid Bare: Love, Sex, and Perversity from the Ancient Etruscans to Warren G. Harding by Richard Zachs:

From the time of Queen Elizabeth up to Victoria, wives were actually sold in the public marketplace in England, according to Wives for Sale, by Samuel Menefee. How pervasive the practice was is unclear, but Thomas Hardy included a scene of it in his Mayor of Casterbridge, and newspaper accounts and church records documenting it have survived.

One printer made up the following song: [1696]

Come all you kind husbands who have scolding wives
    Who thro' living together are tired of your lives,
    If you cannot persuade her, nor good-natur'd make her,
    Place a rope around her neck & to market pray take her.

Newspaper ad, 1796:

To be sold for five shillings, my wife, Jane Hebland. She is stout built, stands firm on her posterns and is sound wind and limb. She can sow and reap, hold a plough, and drive a team, and would answer any stout able men, that can hold a tight rein, for she is damned hard mouthed and headstrong; but if properly managed would either lead or drive as tame as a rabbit. She now and then, if not watched, will make a false step. Her husband parts with her because she is too much for him.
    --Enquire of the printer.
    N.B. All her body clothes will be given with her.
    -----

Ginny

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

I'm in the mood to share. A bit off-topic for this thread, this is another little snippet from History Laid Bare:

from the client list of Clara A., a Civil War prostitute. She kept a notebook from 1862 to 1867, in which she catalogued the quirks of her clientele:

*Dan the Railroad man--great for one, good for two, maybe for three, pay for all!!

*Christ! The praying general was brought in today by Preacher H. He is rough and brutal. After I serviced him, he dropped to his knees and asked God to forgive me for my sins!
    -----

Perversely curious Ginny

• COMF
    COMF

I don't do bars, and I don't do church. What does that leave? Well, you can always run the risk of being hauled off by the poh-leece for harassment while trying to strike up a conversation with an unaccompanied woman in the fresh vegetables section (Fresh!), or the laundromat (I own my own washer-dryer. Don't you?). Then too, you could join a club or community involvement group in hopes it might have somebody who meets your requirements list and is looking to see if you're looking to see if they're looking to see. Your chances: both fat and slim. And of course, there are always your friends to rely on, to hook you up with their wives' cousins when they come to visit: 45 and never been married (why, exactly, is that?). Or you could frequent your local Barnes & Noble, wearing a yellow turtleneck under your brown jacket with the patches on the elbows, sipping cappuccino by the gallon and trying to look jaded and worldly-wise enough for a bookish young thing, recently enamored of the beat generation, to come up and ask what you think so far of the Jack Kerouac you're reading (carefully poised so the title/author is visible across the Starbucks area).

Personals ads relieve you of at least one problem: knowing whether the person is looking or not. If nothing else, at least you know going in that they want to hook up with somebody, whether or not it turns out to be you. If you restrict your interest to those with enough sense (or maybe, chutzpah) to put up a picture, then you further narrow the margin for error (although pictures can be misleading, especially if they're five or ten years old).

I do the majority of my dating from personals ads. I've met a number of nice ladies that way, including a live-in that lasted a couple of years.

I've also met some live ones, buddy. I mean, raw throbbing psychotics. And some that frequent the outer fringe (at least, it looked like an outer fringe to me), including a BDSM enthusiast who wanted me to flog her with her own personal $150 handmade flogger (she brought it so I could try it out).

New story unfolding even as we speak, with a unique difference. Watch for a new thread by me sometime in the next several days, on the subject of a burgeoning romance.

COMF

• hippikon
    hippikon

I think it is a very honest way to meet people if the people are honest. What I'm trying to say is. Why not advertise the fact that you are looking for a relationship and the type of relationship you are looking for. There are traps with any kind of dateing but at least with advertising your intentions are clear from the start.

My 2 cents

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

hmmmmm....Pre-internet days(eons ago???) I answered a few newspaper personals. It yielded a few dates, and also my late wife.
    I have also dated a couple of women from chat rooms. Just like bars and such, you give it a try and see what gives. I would say the chat room thing is about 50/50 in terms of compatabiity.
    I also have a couple of ads on a few sites. Recently, a Russian hottie (21 yrs. old) expressed an interest in me. Made my 39 year old heart go THUMP!! LOL
    It is just a wise thing to be careful, espeially women when setting up meetings with people you "think" you know.

Boozy

• Serena
    Serena

One requiremennt: Must never have been in any way ever associated, affliated, related, or alienated with any jehovah's witness.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Interesting thread. I've never had any experience along this line myself, as I married young and we're still together, thank heavens.

I had a friend that had a similar experience, though, that we all enjoyed immensely. He had a pen-pal in Finland. They corresponded for a couple of years and fell in love. He proposed and she accepted. She sent him pictures and told him her height and weight, but she used metric when she wrote it. All he cared about were those pictures of a gorgeous blond, so he didn't even bother to convert to feet and pounds.

Finally the day came to go down to Anchorage International to pick up his little petite bride-to-be. She was flying in over the pole. You can imagine his eagerness as he was standing there in the concourse watching for his little gal as the passengers filed in.

Sure enough, there she was! All six feet, four inches of her!

I asked him later if it bothered him any, and he said it did --- for about one day. After that he couldn't have cared less. Oh, by the way, he's 5' 11".

Last I heard, they're still going strong and have about 4 kids.

LoneWolf

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hey, Ginny!!

Five shillings, eh? Price sounds about right.

Can I check her teeth first?

LoneWolf

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

LoneWolf,

Can I check her teeth first?
    Sure!

Heheh. Are you afraid she might bite?

Ginny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest