A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step....

by QuestioningEverything 14 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

A little over two years ago-June 2008- I began a journey of epic proportions. I didn't know at that time that my life would forever change. I came across this website while looking up Jehovah's Witnesses and 1975. At first, I was very nervous. You know, there were some anti-JW comments, what if the demons' overtook me while I was looking at it. I was scared to death to read Satanus post's just because of the name. lol No demon's possessed me!. But what did happen was that my whole life changed never to be the same again.

At first, I was obsessed with this website and similar sites finding out all that I could about everything JW related. I read Crisis of Conscience. There was so much I did not know and it all seemed so clear once I had my blinders off. I couldn't believe that I had never seen it for what it was!! I was embarassed, angry and devastated by the 'real' truth. I cried daily for the first few weeks after my discovery.

How could the WTBS mislead so many people? People that I love, respect and would die for-mom, sisters, friends, aunt's, cousin's. I believed all that I had been taught by them without question. Never again will I follow anything or anyone so blindly. It was a valuable lesson for me. I am an intelligent person and feel shame at how foolishly I followed them without a second thought. Never again!!!

My life since that fateful month of June 2008 has been wonderful to say the least. I continued to investigate the JW's and share all I learned with my husband and kids. My husband was raised in a VERY strict JW family. He was out several years before me. I taught him some things about the JW's that he didn't know.

We both feel as if a huge 20 ton boulder has been lifted off of our shoulders. We look forward to our kids going to college, to enjoying grandchilren(hope that doesn't happen for at least 10 years) and making plans for our retirement. We look forward to celebrating Christmas, Birthdays, Thanksgiving, etc. Our family life has improved tremedously and it was already a great life.

We do not attend another church and have become agnostic. We respect other's beliefs but we are done with organized religion. We would like to visit some other churches just to see what they are like.

I can't express how much better mentally I feel. I didn't realize how depressing it was to me to think the world was going to end and all the people I loved may or may not make it to the paradise; that everyone was evil and had bad intentions (they do not); that the world was getting worse every second(it is not); that I would have to make a choice about a blood transfusion one day(I tore up my blood card-decison made!); that I was so restricted on every aspect of life, movies, books, tv, clothing. I make good decisions that are balanced and fair without being told over and over by the WTBS what to do.

So, for all of those who are lurking or are newbies, there is a whole life out there that is good. You will not become a drug addicted, alcoholic, sex crazed prostitute if you quit attending meetings or socialize with people outside of the WTBS. There are good and bad people everywhere-ultimately, you make the choice who to befriend. But I'm sure what you will find is that those that were considered 'worldly' are normal, hardworking, moral people-just like you and me.

Thanks for all of your support and assistance on this website. I feel so grateful to have found it and hope others continue to benefit from it as I have.

PS-sorry it's so long. ;)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

But the nice thing is that you can be an addicted, alcoholic, sex crazed prostitute if that feels right for you.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Bravo!

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sounds encouraging. Thank you for sharing this with us.

• moshe
    moshe

Best topic of the day for me. Enjoy the open road!

• Ice cream
    Ice cream

Excellent post! Good for you QE.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Excellent post, congratulations.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

QuestioningEverything - What a wonderful post ! Thank you for that encouragement and all the best to you and your family.

Loz x

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

That was great

• Dagney
    Dagney

Brava! Fantastic experience! Thank you for sharing.

Continued success.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit