"You don't have to go to church to know God."

by leavingwt 41 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

I beleive that Paganism is having real growth largely because of it's unstructured worship and openness - the "antithesis" of organized religion:

Pagan Religion Grows In Popularity

• JeffT
    JeffT

Funny, my wife and I were having a conversation about this yesterday. Last year, after working at our church for seventeen years, she was laid off under rather stange circumstances. While we both still consider ourselves spiritual people, neither of us feels any need to go to church. After what happened to her, we simply can't see the point of it.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    According to Jesus God doesn't dwell in man-made buildings anyway. So we know he doesn't have a problem with our attending religious services. And if he doesn't care..........
    edited: or was that Paul? Well he's not there at any rate.... lol

This made me LOL, too.

It was Isaiah - chapter 66, Jesus of Nazareth - John chapter 4, Stephen - Acts chapter 7, Apostle Paul - Acts chapter 17.

Syl

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Leaving

Hmmm

Interesting that you would post this article after you comments about Calvinism. In universalism, it seems that you can do anything you want and call it worship. If that's true, why pick on Calvinists? If everyone is God's child (as univeralists teach) we are all going to heaven, why worship at all, nothing matters.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Thanks Syl, I knew somebody said it

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy Dog:

If that's true, why pick on Calvinists?

I would like to apologize for singling out Calvinism and 'picking' on it. This was counter-productive and I hope you didn't take offense, personally. I like discussing all of the Isms and I enjoy reading what you and others have to say about them. I've got a lot to learn.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

LeavingWT

I would like to apologize for singling out Calvinism and 'picking' on it. This was counter-productive and I hope you didn't take offense, personally.

I was not offended, it is what it is. Maybe 'picking wasn't the right word. I enjoy the discussion as well. I get those questions from people in the church I attend, all the time. I just wanted to point out that both sides of the debate can be asked the same type of question.

People assume, if it's all "predestined" nothing matters.

Well, if we are all God's children why would that give more meaning to "Spirituallity" in the end?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Well, if we are all God's children why would that give more meaning to "Spirituallity" in the end?

This would depend upon a number of things, including how these persons define God. Many people like to enjoy what they refer to as "spiritual" experiences. To them, it's all very real and satisfying.

Much of Christianity, and particularly your flavor, are keenly interested in "correct belief". Many religions are not so concerned with this. They emhasize various behaviors and actions, not belief.

Unversalism allows a person to retain God, but they need not worry about what God's will is. Atheism will never be a satisfying fit for those with the "God gene", as some have put it.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower 1st March 1953 page143 para 12 says

''Ask yourself now, Did Christ Jesus, who set our example and told us to follow his example to gain life, join any church organization in his day? No, God does not require us to do that; but he requires us to worship him, to preach the good news of the Kingdom, to be Christians, to follow the example Jesus set, living in unalterable devotion to Jehovah God; to praise God and respect his supremacy, to resist all efforts to turn us from decency and to endure in faith. We have the Bible to show us the right way. Certainly it is not necessary for a person to become a member of a church to gain everlasting life.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leaving

Much of Christianity, and particularly your flavor, are keenly interested in "correct belief".

When you say "correct belief" do you mean "correct doctrine"?

I'm amazed that YOU think my "flavor" represents much of Christianity. From my point of view, it seems like a very, very small part of the church. Even in the local church that I attend only a small% share my "flavor". Not that, that's a big deal. I don't expect everyone to agree with me on everything. But, I do prefer clarity of agreement. It's also very hard to find a church where you can worship, where most of the people are of like faith with me. Most churches today know very little about Sovereign Grace.

What I'm finding is that denominational lines mean almost nothing today.

Many religions are not so concerned with this. They emhasize various behaviors and actions, not belief.

This applies to most any legalistic group, "Christian" or otherwise. I would submit that the JWs are much more worried about peoples actions, behaviors and what they say, than what people actually believe. This is why they emphasize the Law over faith.

Sadly, I think you are describing most of Christianity today. They are more worried about living by the LAW than by faith in God's grace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit