Birthdays and Jehovah

by I quit! 27 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

My birthday is coming up next week. Ever since leaving the Watchtower I aways do something on or round that day with my sister. We usually go to lunch and do something like see a movie, play golf, or spend the day at the beach together. My wife is still dubstruck so of course she won't be involve. This always gets me to thinking about how weird the JW birthday doctrine is. I never thought it made much sense even when I was a dub so I would just parrot the nonsense about only giving the glory to Jehovah and not worshipping ourselves with cake and ice cream and of course not forgetting to mention John the Baptist head on a platter. I'm sure I sounded like a complete idiot as I tried to explained this non witnesses. I now see how small and petty Watchtower Jehovah is. A god who can't stand to have any attention drawn away from himself even in such small matters. This guy is suppose have created the universe yet he act in ways that we would be appalled if we saw someone treating their children in that way. Imagine a woman trying to explain to a friend of hers that she can't have a birthday party for her daughter because her husband said it would draw attentiona away from himself. The more I think about this god the more I can see how small minded and mean spirited he is. I'm just glad he isn't real or eternity anywhere really would be hell.

• cult classic
    cult classic

That is a good illustration. I'll be using that one if you don't mind.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Rutherford hated children. And he hated Mother's Day. But he loved to drink booze.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Happy Birthday !

Mine is next week too & I cannot allow myself too much pomp & circumstance because my mind wont let go of that JW doctrine dribble, I do not know if I will ever get past it all...you live it up for the both of us!

CHG

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Rutherford hated children. And he hated Mother's Day. But he loved to drink booze.

Don't forget facial hair!

-Sab

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower observed the 100th anniversity of its incorporation.

A special publication was published to mark the event, and talks were given.

So, it is OK to observed a corporation's 100th birthday, but not an individual's yearly birthday?

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, the JW anti-birthday doctrine smacks of a mean-spirited, fear-driven outlook on life.

Notice, though, how the GB has allowed wedding anniversaries in through the back door?

Almost every argument the JWs use "against" birthdays can be used "against anniversaries. Indeed, a wedding anniversary is simply the birthday of the day a couple got married. First century Christians did not celebrate wedding anniversaries either. Celebrating wedding anniversaries originated in Christendom just a few decades ago - it's tainted by false religion! And, shock! horror! celebrating a wedding anniversary risks the married couple receiving the glory that belongs to Jehovah God alone.

Beware, JWs, you may well breathe a sigh of relief that you're allowed to celebrate wedding anniversaries - but Jehovah God is one hell of a mad, jealous God who will call to account all of those who get caught up in these worldly celebrations!

• streets76
    streets76

Maybe the borg should let the congregations take a vote on this issue. You think it would be voted in?

In fact, let 'em vote on shunning, blood, and all other major doctrines.

(Of course, the smart ones vote with their feet.)

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Happy Birthday I Quit and Coffee House Girl! I hope you both live it up.

• Scully
    Scully

Leos are such a lot of fun. I should know, because I'm one too.

I'm sure I sounded like a complete idiot as I tried to explained this non witnesses. I now see how small and petty Watchtower Jehovah is. A god who can't stand to have any attention drawn away from himself even in such small matters. This guy is suppose have created the universe yet he act in ways that we would be appalled if we saw someone treating their children in that way. Imagine a woman trying to explain to a friend of hers that she can't have a birthday party for her daughter because her husband said it would draw attention away from himself. The more I think about this god the more I can see how small minded and mean spirited he is.

I like your take on the birthday thing - it's a great way of contrasting the reasons why people celebrate their loved ones' birthdays versus the lame excuse of why JWs feel that not celebrating them is a Scripturalâ„¢ requirement, in other words: Love versus Jealousy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit