When talking to JW's about Witnesses ................

by cantleave 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I use the term, 'your church' in place of 'the Truth".

I refuse to use any terminology that distinguishes them from other churches. They don't deserve it, and if they think they do, they are welcome to go ahead and prove it.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I refer to them as 'them'.

Interesting side-bar. (Well, to me at least). Recently, I had the opportunity to talk on the phone with my younger brother who is a JW. When we got past the usual 'Hello, how are you doing' part of the conversation, he took off telling me about this or that JW-related stuff that he and my sister are doing as JWs.

I only remember a wee-bit of it, but it was something to do with the deaf people that he and my sister are involved with. Something about their own 'circuit' or assembly or somesuch.

Anyway, I let him go on for a minute or two then interrupted him and told him... "Look J, I am no longer a JW and have no interest in this as a topic for conversation. We need to talk about something else."

He stammered and stuttered a bit, then said something like, "Well, I just wanted you to know what I've been up to."

I let him know that we could talk about other things - but not JW-related.

That sorta limits topics for conversation with many JWs. They don't really have much else that they know, and can converse about.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Jim_TX, I find that as well in talking to JWs (them). They don't read anything outside of their own literature and only view the news as "the end is close" material. They don't keep up with political events, environmental effects of this or that, they don't look outside the box and are very narrow minded. In fact, their literature stunts their mental growth, it's like they're stuck in the 5th grade and that's an insult to 5th graders...

• undercover
    undercover

I'm with Blondie... I just call em 'witnesses'. If I'm talking to an enlightened JW who is still pretending to be in, I might use Jdub or dub.

But they are definitely "them". I do not think of myself as one anymore and refuse to be associated as a current member.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit