Because they were a pain in the ass.

villabolo

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Heh, great video, Dinah!

• sabastious
    sabastious

EndofMysteries,

The real answer is what I am searching for. The truth.

If these stories in the Bible are fictional then it means a great deal for human existence! Think about it, it changes a large chunk of the populations idea on what IS.

Is the Bible for or against Humanity? Does it need to go entirely? Or can we take the good from it without degrading to witch hunts? Or is it actually the handbook for our existence.

The answer to the question in the OP is directly tied to discovering the above truths.

-Sab

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Sab - Good, keep seeking it, it IS there. So far have yet to find any humans teaching the true answers. You would not believe how they start to appear. As for 'degrading to witchhunts', I'm not fully finished, but there is a reason for that. Maybe two, but definitely 1. The word can lead you on the right path, and can lead you on the wrong path, it is alive and does discern thoughts. Have faith in your search, keep checking yourself and make sure you don't block any direction may be getting from God. (Be quick to hear, slow to speak) Some of the insight can be scary and hard to accept, and it may only be the tip of the iceberg, may find that a LOT of refining on what you understand is needed and that it's not being taught anywhere.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I do recommend reading a bit with old testament interlinear. There are some truths that are hidden because of how they arranged words and translated things. If some parts are super confusing, check what you see in hebrew interlinear of the old testament.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

IMHO none of it ever happened, and Lot never existed. The people in the Middle East at that time would have had a culture we can scarcely comprehend, but making up scanalous stories about other tribes was probably a favorite pastime for the Israelites. Somehow those stories have become what we call the Bible...

• tec
    tec

I thought Sodom and Gomorroah were destroyed because there was such a great outcry against them. God was acting on behalf of those people who were calling for him to put a stop to what they in the cities were doing - not just a few people, but enough of them to make a great outcry.

Tammy

• anewme
    anewme

I could kick myself for not buying a book I saw at a yard sale on Soddom and Gomorrah and what archeologists have discovered there and learned about their civilization.

The theory that Soddom and Gomorrah were destroyed by a volcanic explosion or lightening makes sense to me.

Fundamentalists today often say cities are destroyed because of their sins and do not attribute disasters to natural causes.

You have definitely pricked my interest in exploring the findings on these two cities further.

Good discussion!

Anewme

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

One of the non canon books, gives an entirely different story on it's destruction, or reason. It was how they treated foreigners, and how they stole their possessions, did not feed them, let them starve to death, etc. It's interesting, forgot which book though.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The Bible says that it was because of their being "evil" and "wicked" in God's eyes, and this included the rapists who roamed the streets at night (and the ones mentioned in the Bible were homosexual rapists, however, it does not say that God destroyed them for being homosexuals).

Jesus said that Sodom and Gomorrah paid no attention to God and were too busy with their "buying and selling" and their daily activities for God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit