Why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

by sabastious 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I'm inclined to think that was either nuclear or an asteroid, don't think there are any volcanoes in that vicinity. Nearest volcanoes I can think of are in Turkey andKenya, Ethiopia? And the Greek Islands.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"don't think there are any volcanoes in that vicinity. Nearest volcanoes I can think of are in Turkey andKenya, Ethiopia? And the Greek Islands..."

Try "Golan Heights"... Look up the GEOLOGICAL history, not the archaeological history, of that area...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Vesuvius, 79 AD

Terrified survivors spread rumours of what had been seen during the cataclysm. They said, "huge men quite surpassing any human stature" had appeared on the mountain,"wandering over the earth day and night and also flitting through the air…and, moreover, a sound of trumpets was heard."

The trumpet sound from volcanos is quite rare, but it's not unknown. It is thought to be caused by gases being forced though cracks. Given the right shape a gap would act like a giant whistle.

• ziddina
    ziddina

From this website: http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/peace%20process/guide%20to%20the%20peace%20process/golan%20heights%20-%20background

(That's the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, by the way...)

Comes this information: "The area in the north which came under Israeli control as a result of the 1967 Six Day War, and popularly referred to as the 'Golan Heights', is actually composed of two geologically distinct areas (divided by Nahal Sa'ar): the Golan Heights proper (1,070 sq. km.) and the slopes of the Mt. Hermon range (approx. 100 sq. km.).

GEOLOGY, GEOGRAPHY, AND NATURAL HISTORY

While the Mt. Hermon range is mostly limestone, the Golan Heights proper are mostly basalt and other types of volcanic rock. The Heights are a plateau that drops off to the west, ..."

And here: http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0300-03-

Which states: "The basaltic Golan Heights volcanic field in the Anti-Lebanon Mountains of SW Syria near the borders with Lebanon and Israel contains numerous cinder cones of Pliocene-to-Holocene age. The Golan Heights volcanic field covers a broad area NE of the Lake Tiberius (the Sea of Galilee) and SW of the city of Damascus (Dimashq) and includes the prehistoric cone of Majdel Shams in the Golan Heights. The volcanic field lies on a basaltic plateau that dips to the west and SW, with steep slopes facing the Dead Sea rift valley. It lies within the northern part of the massive alkaline Harrat Ash Shaam volcanic field that extends from southern Syria through NW Jordan to Saudi Arabia. ..."

• ziddina
    ziddina

Interesting, Black Sheep...

I thought it was just the way [so-called....] "primitive" minds would describe the loud roaring of a volcanic eruption... From what you posted, though, I could see how such sounds could take on the aspects of "trumpet" blasts, however...

Thanks for posting that...!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    don't think there are any volcanoes in that vicinity

Going from the Biblical description, if there has been no volcanic activity in the correct time frame in the vicinity you are looking at, you only have limited choices.

One is, your information regarding the whereabouts of S&G is faulty.

Another is, it's just a story someone pieced together, incorporating a real event, to make god look big and scary as part of his mind control techniques. Lot's wife turning around and getting zapped into a pillar of salt isn't an interpretation of a natural event.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The Wiki article on Sodom has a lot of Bible cross-references that are surprising.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Lately I'm being led to believe that it was a civilization

Same question from my OP, just replace cities with civilzations.

-Sab

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Sabastious -

Either the (God,god) in quite a few of the books is one who rules that part of the Earth, (in the sense of God's son and the joint rulership, but him being the highest), or God is training and teaching most or all of us a great lesson. In the sense perhaps they were his people, and the reason they were destroyed is what Egypt was guilty of, and the reason they were destroyed is the reason the cannanites were, and the reason they were is the reason Israel was, and we are approaching the final 'humbling', namely, nobody has a right to feel at all elevated or judge others because everyone has fallen. In addition, he has allowed things to happen and certain understandings to be allowed, so that people would display their true selves. Either so they expose their own heart condition and/or to trap those really wicked. 2 other possibilities too.......

Anyway, how important is the answer to you?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The whole thing was a set-up for God to kill Mrs. Lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit