Do You Think "Religious" People Are Generally "Nicer" Than Non-Religious Ones?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Remember: a lot of very religious people believe they need to try to save you.

• Scully
    Scully

Remember: a lot of very religious people believe they need to try to save you.

So you can spend eternity hanging around with @$$holes like them.

• minimus
    minimus

Scull, between the religious zealots and the telemarketers, who's worse?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Scully!!!I am not an arse hole !!!!maybe I am!!!! LOL... BUT there is NO WAY I would try to save any one.
    I believe in a GOD...If any one dont that is up to them.I don't believe ANYONE CAN SAVE ANYONE

in the Faith issue ....But I truly do believe the way we judge others .
    ..may be we could be failing in the LOVE area .....

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Eh. Depends on the person, depends on the religion, depends on the culture. I know a lot of awful religious people and a lot of great religious people. It can't all come down to that.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I think a religious person and a person of faith are two different things. My opinion is that "religious" is something put on, "faith" comes from within.

Because I am one who believes in God, I believe that since man (humankind) was created in God's image, one doesn't have to believe in God to reflect these loving qualities. (Romans 2:14-15)

As to the actual question ... no.

• new light
    new light

I cannot speak for all religions, but IME Christians are decidedly "less nice". Ziddina hit the nail on the head regarding the driving habits of people driving Jesusy autos. The driving here in the Triangle of North Carolina is the worst in the U.S. People here drive like Jesus will magically save them from their utter stupidity and, if he does not, then they get to meet their sweet lode anyways, so it's OK to drive like their heroes from NASCAR.

Off the roads they tend to be much more judgemental, hypocritical, and just hateful than I would like. It seems like the enforced religious activities and constant guilt tripping cause a sort of frustration in some people that is internalized and then expressed in their secular lives.

Non-religious types, on the other hand, IME, are open minded and actually consider the well being of those around them. They actually value the life we live in the here and now, not seeing it as some kind of hellish testing ground for the "real life" to come. They view things through a much clearer lens, and if they are good willed, they ACT to make this place better, as opposed to complaining about how bad things are and how Jesus must be coming soon to make it all better.

I know that there is the whole spectrum of niceness on both sides, but at least unreligious people are not hypocrites. I cannot wait to drive out of this so called Bible belt and NEVER come back.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Nope.

it's what's in your own 'heart' that motivates and makes you who you are.

There are whitewashed tombs in all walks of life - some have more whitewash than others!

• Think About It
    Think About It

In my work career and life, I've come in contact with people from all walks of life. In my experience the measurement of "nicer" between religious & non-religious people in general is about even. In men, the biggest pricks I have known were split even. However, in women the biggest bitches tended to be non-religious.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit