Do You Think "Religious" People Are Generally "Nicer" Than Non-Religious Ones?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

some are unobtrusive, others are annoying
    and some are just hard not to love

like this fine symbol of religiosity

• minimus
    minimus

That type are most ignorant and hateful.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I generally don't think one group is any "nicer" than another. I go by the person and what they say or do as a result of their outlook or beliefs, not the beliefs themselves. I've met a$$hole believers and atheists as well as decent people in both camps. Your mileage may vary.

• misocup
    misocup

No

For example my neighbor is very obvious about her religiosity but will back stab you in a heartbeat.

I think the more overtly religious they are, the weirder and more devious they are. Take Ted Haggard for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Haggard

• misocup
    misocup

Nice one chickpea !

• Scully
    Scully

It all depends on how a person practices their religious beliefs or lack thereof that makes them nice or not nice.

I find it offensive ("not nice" in the extreme), for example, for a religious person to expect me to accommodate their religious beliefs when they wouldn't dream of reciprocating for my beliefs.

If a religious person feels inclined to criticize me for being an atheist, but takes offense when I respond in kind regarding their beliefs, then that's "not nice" either.

I'd be quite happy if certain uber-religious people didn't feel that it was their right to mind other people's business, including my own. If they want to follow their version of the Pied Piper, I am fine with that, as long as they don't require me to go along for the ride.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Not all, but most so-called religious people tend to be haughty and puffed up.

They tend to look down at people more, they think they are favored.

most ,not all non religious people, tend to be more down to earth, have

morals and lead decent law abidding lives.

• ambersun
    ambersun

In my experience non religious people tend to be nicer in so far as they are not inclined to judge you and don't think they are a cut above you by being closer to God. However, having said that my best friend is catholic and she is the most unjudgemental person I know who doesn't care that I'm not a catholic and I can trust her implicitly, but that is just her personality. I think she would be the same whether she was religious or not.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I think over all religious people try to be polite and kind to stangers. I've found non religious people who don't mind cussing you if you happen to be in their way, where a religious person would hesitate to be rude a good part of the time. I've meet a few non religious people I respect and trust, just like I've met religious people I respect and trust. Just depends on the individual

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Religious people are more likely to be harsher on those not in their own religion. They are either going to get destroyed, go to hell, or end up coming back as a AIDS virus if they don't believe--hence, the believer has pressure to get others to believe as they do. And, being religious isn't enough--it does no good to be a hell-believer to the person that believes you come back as a AIDS virus or get destroyed.

People with no religion or that worship Satan by intentionally blowing off God are not interested in getting others saved. Thus, they don't give a fxxx that a person does something that is a "sin".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit