People Who Refuse to Tip at Restaurants are Embarrassing!

by White Dove 69 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Isn't there a minimum wage in America?

Yes, but employers aren't required to pay it if there is tipping involved, as tips are considered part of that person's wages. As such, they are required to report their tips to the government.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I start at 20% when I sit down, it goes up or down from there, depending.

superpunk - love the Mr. Pink reference, definitely one of my all time favorite movie scenes, classic.

• superpunk
    superpunk

High-Five, A&W. I love pretty much any Tarantino movie.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

He is an absolute GENIUS! And I love that he does a bit part in his movies. (must admit I don't like all the blood)

• undercover
    undercover
    The exception of course, is bad service. That's their/our job. If it's done poorly, that should be reflected in the tip.

And by speaking to the manager. If service was bad enough to impel you to leave a bad tip, you're only pissing off the server...it does not send any message to the management. If you ask to speak to the manager and then explain the situation and why you're leaving a poor tip, then management can address the issue; and if the place is run correctly at all, they'll offer to comp something on the spot or later.

I usually cut servers as much slack as I can. It's not always their fault when shit goes wrong. But it is their job to communicate and to be prepared to ask management to offer help if they see tempers rise at the table.

I also don't expect a server at Waffle House to be as attentive as a server at Ruth's Chris. 20% at WH is still only a buck or two, while RC's server stands to make $25-40.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I find it especially bad when the person is familiar with tipping. Sometimes, people from the deep country, or in a foreign country where tipping is not practiced, will not know to tip when they first start eating out. The good news is, it's a matter of time before they hear discussions among the wait staff about tipping, and start leaving tips--that is, unless they are so infrequent diners that they probably won't go out to eat for another 20 years. And then they wouldn't be that significant either way.

What I do find embarrassing is, after we get good or better service (or if the witless dingbats at my table intentionally made problems for the waitress), and they leave either nothing (except a customer complaint because the waitresses were not perfect) or a waste of paper. That is why I hate so much eating out with groups of witlesses. The witlesses think the waste of paper is better, going by fake experiences at the Grand Boasting Session of a waitress that was "tipped" with a waste of paper last September and is here awaiting baptism on that, is better than a money tip.

I challenge the witlesses to put that kind of a "tip" in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund box instead of their customary $20 bills.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I've always been on the generous side of tipping unless the service is bad.

Most embarrassing tipping moment: I organised a work social with maybe 20 people at a restaurant and one of them used to be a server. He made us all wait 20 minutes while the "automatic" 10% tip for large groups was removed from our bill because as he said "it isn't automatic". The service hadn't been bad - I tried to interject after I eventually realised what was going on but as the new boy I was shouted down.

I once paid for a meal with a card and didn't know how to add a tip (too much wine I think). I popped back a few minutes later with a tip after I got cash out of a machine. Got a big smile. It was a great meal.

MMXIV

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I tip, always. My favorite/regular places always start with 20% and if I get a server I know or had before and they remember me, auto bumped to 25%.

If I go to somewhere less frequented and the service was piss poor or I just didn't like the place, I start with 15%.

But I never go below that. The hospitality industry is hard work, they get paid shit other than tips. Plus if you go there often and tip in the 20-25% range the service seems to get better, I've actually been bumped ahead of the waiting line at the most frequented places I dine at.

• minimus
    minimus

I tip 20 to 30 % for a tip. If I know others in my party on the bill won't tip, I refuse to ever go out with them again.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I give 15% or 1 cent. If the service is decent, what you would expect and polite. That gets 15%. However, if I get terrible food and a server who did not come by to check on us, made us wait an excessive time to get our order or final check. Etc. Well, I send a message ... 1 cent. That way they do not think bad service or good, gets the same result.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit