Contradictions of the LORD's final words

by AK - Jeff 69 Replies latest watchtower bible

• superpunk
    superpunk

The gospel writers were poetic enough to leave out the part where Jesus said

"Holy f*ck this hurts like hell" and "Does anyone else smell myrrh? Because I definitely smell myrrh".

• startingover
    startingover

For me to accept that the bible is in fact inspired by god, quotes like these need to be exact. It's obvious that even if they were conflicting, believers would find a way to justify it.

• bohm
    bohm

What this boil down to is basic reasoning. Again, the relevant question to ask is NOT IF the 3 different supposed last words of jesus COULD have an explanation that is consistent by the bible being the litteral account of what happened, NOR if that explanation is likely.

The only relevant question to ask is this:

Are the 3 different supposed last words of jesus EASIEST explained by the bible being a litteral account of what happened, or that the bible is not a litteral account of what happened.

Its like discussing if something can be both true or false at the same time.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The gospel writers were poetic enough to leave out the part where Jesus said
    "Holy f*ck this hurts like hell" and "Does anyone else smell myrrh? Because I definitely smell myrrh".

LMAO !!! well said dude !!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The only relevant question to ask is this:

Well, we can't decide for others what is relevant ot not, especially what is ONLY relevant, that woudl makes us liek the WT.

Are the 3 different supposed last words of jesus EASIEST explained by the bible being a litteral account of what happened, or that the bible is not a litteral account of what happened.
  • bohm
    bohm

PS: im sorry it came out as i was trying to dictate what others can believe or not. I am pointing out elementary results in mathematics; how they are applied and what result they support is a different question.

I am simply trying to point out that going down the path of how likely a given rationalisation is, ie. jesus could have said 3 times and the bible may support that if viewed in a certain light, is not a very fruitfull discussion since it is waaay to subjective.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Mark wrote down what he was told by Peter, Matthew wrote down what he had heard and Luke what he had heard and researched and John what he witnessed and they all wrote after each other and in their own way what they thought needed to be said or resaid.

If one Gospel had it all there would have been no need for 4.

The try to compliment each other, not replace each other.

Ok, look, We have no writings from Matthew save this Gospel, there is no mention of him in Acts or in any of the epistels, he probaably was doing his own thing in his area and wrote for his people, Mark was with Peter and Luek was with Paul at times and other times with the apostles and he was writing to a specific person, not to people per say.

John was more poetic and personal because he was so clsoe to Jesus and his gospel was edited a few times, hence the sequence at times seems "off".

Of course you are gonna have different "biographies" and "obituaries".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I am simply trying to point out that going down the path of how likely a given rationalisation is, ie. jesus could have said 3 times and the bible may support that if viewed in a certain light, is not a very fruitfull discussion since it is waaay to subjective.

I know and I agree, we can discuss and even debate these things, but in the end, that is all we are doing and the truth must be found out by each one of us in our own personal journey.

• bohm
    bohm

PS: Just curious regarding your personal view - do you think it is extremely unlikely (ie "impossible" in ordinary language; but i feel someone will jump over me if i write impossible ;-) ) that jesus did not say all 3 things, and 1 2 or 3 of the quotes was later edited into the gospels by well meaning authors, perhaps because some of the authors was unsure what they heard and so on?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PS: Just curious regarding your personal view - do you think it is extremely unlikely (ie "impossible" in ordinary language; but i feel someone will jump over me if i write impossible ;-) ) that jesus did not say all 3 things, and 1 2 or 3 of the quotes was later edited into the gospels by well meaning authors, perhaps because some of the authors was unsure what they heard and so on?

Persoanlly I think he said all of them, yes.

Seems like people took the ones they liked most and included them in their versions because it fit best with their view of Jesus.

Just like we still do today.

I bet if you wrote your best friends biography it would be different than if his cousin did, or his wife or his son or his family doctor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit