How to write a letter of D/A... and what happens when I do?

by confliction 11 Replies latest jw friends

• confliction
    confliction

First off, I'm almost definite somebody else has already posted, asked this question, but I'm too lazy to look right now lol...

About half a year of contemplation, evaluation, and calculation has led up to making this decision, so here it is.

Because of a multitude of circumstances, I don't believe fading will be an option as I originally thought, and I frankly refuse to waste any more years of my life trying to pretend to believe something I clearly do not, and preserve a connection to people who don't even have the decency to speak to me or befriend me as a fellow human being. I am alienated as it is- I guess I'm just a weird and shy person, and that will not change anytime soon.

I plan to - in the coming months when the time is right - present a letter of disassociation from the congregation, and the watchtower society.

How does one go about writing this letter, and if you have written one, could you either pm me or post here what you wrote?

Also, what should I expect to happen after the letter is received (e.g. elder visits, a reply with a plea, etc) and what can I do/write/say to avoid situations like these?

I just want to sever my ties with the least drama possible.
    Optimally, I would hope to just send the letter, and that be the end of it.
    But I don't know what happens, so if you've been there, done that, please enlighten me.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

According to the Elder that visited me a few months ago "It is very easy " all you do is write a letter stating you no longer want to be a JW sign , seal.. deliver .

My choice was to no longer play by their rules , so I won't provide them with anything other than a notice to no longer have any contact with me . If you want them to leave you alone then send them a cease and desist contact letter . If you really want to sever all JW ties then send the DA letter .

I personally don't see the need to resign when there is no membership list .

Apparently you can also be automatically DA'd if you openly celebrate holidays (Christmas esp.),join the military, or run publically for any public office ...even School board member !

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.docbob.org/wordpress/?p=22

Here's an example of a DA Letter.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I just want to sever my ties with the least drama possible.
    Optimally, I would hope to just send the letter, and that be the end of it.

All you have to do then, is write: I no longer want to be associated with or thought of as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Even shorter: I quit the Jehovah's Witnesses.

But I think the first one says a bit more so the elders are clear. You just have to hand it to or mail it to the elders. No need to inform WTS headquarters.

What happens depends on you and your elders. They may accept it simply with little said or they may beg you to reconsider or they may ask for reasons. They may say that more is needed of you, that this is not enough. They may insist that you confess to your reasons for leaving, be they sins or disbelief. None of that is true. You can simply submit a short statement (even a verbal one, but they are told to insist on writing) and leave.

• Highlander
    Highlander

My dream is to have enough money to rent a bill board located near my old congregation stating the I no longer belong to the jehovah's witness cult.

I think that would be a great disassociation letter.

• confliction
    confliction

OTWO:

Yeah, I think I plan to do something like that... Is there like, a specific elder it should be sent to, or just any of the elders will do fine? Perhaps the service overseer, for example...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Confliction, have you talked to S or any other adult in your area about this? Please don't make any hasty decisions. If for no other reason, you're going to need your parents financial information to apply for financial aid for school.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Apparently you can also be automatically DA'd if you openly celebrate holidays (Christmas esp.),join the military, or run publically for any public office ...even School board member !

Even as a school board member?!?! Really?? My mother and I were on the school board, had no idea that wasn't allowed.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Direct your letter to the Body of Elders of [named] Congregation, but give it to any one of them.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Consider jamiebowers' advice. Wait until you're IN college, then just leave.

No letter necessary. Just quit going. Ignore all attempts at contact from Borg representatives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit