Auchwitz Video

by man in black 17 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

This was on the news last night, it seems many people are having a hard time figuring out how to deal with it.

The man in the middle is a survivor of this camp, and he is surrounded by his children/grandschildren/great-grandchildren

Is this video an insult to the people who died at Aushwitz, or a celebration that life went on for the survivors ??

Personally, I look at it 50 - 50, but a more time appropriate song might have been a more positive thing

I posted the address two times, I don't have much luck when it comes to video's here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXGvuvSzh4

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/StXGvuvSzh4&hl=en_US&fs=1"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/StXGvuvSzh4&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

To me it's the symbolic pissing on Hitler's grave. I like it.

• linp24
    linp24

it is amazing to see how spry and limber the elderly gentleman survivor is. I am decades younger than he but could never bust those moves.

I guess I will come down on the side that this is a "celebration that life went on." They are mocking death and the evil thing that Auchwitz was.

But yes there are better songs that could have been chosen.

• designs
    designs

I'd line up to piss on Hitler's grave, drink lots of coffee first.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I think for an elderly survivor to dance with his grandchildren and celebrate how life goes on is such a touching beautiful thing, got a little tearful. Many Aushwitz survivors had a difficult time to talk of their experience for awhile. But with time they needed to speak out so the world could know what happened and so that especially their children and grandchildren to know so to appreciate their freedom, work for it, grow with it. The world needed to know so that such a thing would not happen, not to such an extent, before our alarm starts ringing.

That why I believe, we must talk, inform, sing and dance about our surviving the experience as JWs,,to share our experience so that people can identify negative mind control so that their 'alarm' goes off when they see such tactics. We owe that for our children, grandchildren and all others. We have to become joyful, sing and dance, as proof about our survivorship and success.

(I am envisioning us dancing in the street in front of the Brooklyn Bethel - what songs would be good? "Thriller" zombies? "These Boots are made for Walking" "Singing in the Rain" Actually we could put on quite a musical!!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Oh my goodness!! I'm crying, that is so emotional to watch.

My grandfather fought with the Americans on German soil, that war hits home with me.

I say whatever that man and his family need to do in order to fully heal from such a tragedy, no one else can judge.

Each survivor will come to terms with what happened to them in individual ways.

If this is his family's way.......Bless them.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I like it. It celebrates life; it celebrates his life and his heritage - as evidenced by his children and grandchildren...

And it has humor. Humor is one of the greatest aspects of life; it's one of the first things that dictators, oppressive leaders and vicious, high-control groups try to take away from people...

I think they might have chosen a different song, but I can't think of one that would be more appropriate...

Zid

(P.S. And yes, I have tears in my eyes, too...)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like it. Pissing on Hitler's grave is one way to describe it.

It's a man doing more than facing his demons. He's showing his demons that he did more than "get through it" but contributed to repopulating his people.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I can totally understand that many would be offended. Intellectually I think this is an atrocity, to dance where so many died.

But my gut reaction was different. It's a silly video but it made me cry. He survived and thrived through his grandkids. It was a celebration of life. I seriously doubt that he didn't think of all the people that were brutally tortured and murdered there.

Jews have always used black humour to survive.

Two nights ago I watched a programme about two women who survived the holocaust. To survive they were forced by the Nazis to play music. Music can be used for evil but it can also used to heal.

Instead of being outraged by an old man dancing with his grandkids we should be outraged that the holocaust happened in the first place.

• zoiks
    zoiks

It's touching. A celebration of life, in the face of death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit