Responding to personal questions

by Lady Lee 34 Replies latest forum announcements

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It has come to my attention that there have been numerous posts on the board asking posters personal questions like:

• where do you live?
    • are you male or female?
    • do you know people from a certain congregation?
    • do you know a certain district overseer or circuit overseer?
    • do you know of certain conflicts in your congregation?
    • post some pictures of where you live
    • if you are an active or fading JW ...?
    • if you are an active elder ...?

There are plenty of other personal type questions that can be used to narrow down who you are. Some may seem quite innocent like the post pictures of where you live but if I post a picture of Ottawa but don't want anyone to know I live in Ottawa I have just told the internet world where I live. That isn't a problem for me but it might be a real problem for some of you.

As mods we often get requests to remove some identifying info they have inadvertently posted. Sometimes we can do it. Other times we have to delete the post or remove the thread.

Please be careful about what you post especially if you are fading or are still in. People have been identified by what they post and then turned in to their local elders. It has happened. We don't want you to be the next one outted.

If you are posting these questions please consider that people deserve their privacy. I know we want to get to know people but there are people who monitor the board looking for clues regarding the identity of certain posters. I can only imagine the interest a post like "If you are an elder ...? would generate.

Also be aware that anything posted in the Members only and Private discussion is still open to anyone with a membership. Anyone who has registered can read it all and figure out who you are if you post enough info about yourself.

Be cautious.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Not to hijack this thread..but do you actually know of cases where this has happened- someone outted for posting on a forum?

• fokyc
    fokyc

Lady Lee, Very well written and such good advice.

I have identified posters and subsequently met up with them.

If I can do it so can others,

BUT I am NOT an elder looking to 'out people'.

• Titus
    Titus

I know.

Thank you Lady Lee.

Would you please remove one of threads I have started? Please, I am really afraid of that. I will send you a PM.

COMRADE TITO

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Good reminders Lee... I am sure you mods don't have time to go and cleaning up everytime we regret posting something and our edit time has expired.

In the beginning, I am sure I posted info that, if read in its entirety with other posts, would have outed me. Since then, I have publicly identified myself because I no longer care if I am DF/DA. But that was not always the case.

And remember, anything posted on the public part of the board gets hit by Google bots within hours, sometimes minutes. I have posted, then did a Google search on key words from my post and up it pops. Try it with my post here...

Presume that anything posted on the internet, public or private, is out there forever.

Snakes (Rich )

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

but do you actually know of cases where this has happened- someone outted for posting on a forum?

If you read my post I said:

People have been identified by what they post and then turned in to their local elders. It has happened.

I meant it. It has happened. But I will not say who.

and as fokyc just posted he too has identified people by what they post.

• Titus
    Titus

Please, Lady Lee, read your PM!

Thanks!

• LatinxJW
    LatinxJW

I am so tired of the freakin data call threads started on here, I will start responding to such threads with a great big F U. You have been warned.

• Titus
    Titus

Thank you very much, Lady Lee! Thank you! Thank you!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

you are welcome titus

a perfect example of what this thread is about

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit