YMCA now I am mad!!!

by loosie 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• cab1000
    cab1000

I doubt it too. The Y was always a no no. Minds well have been called "The Church of Swimming".

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Nobody's telling me I can't join the Y. More than half of our congregation shops at St. Vincent DePaul Stores. I put money in the Salvation Army pot. I buy the little poppy from the Vets. I know Witness children who have benefitted from St. Jude's Hospitals and The March of Dimes. They perform good services for people. They don't discriminate because of religion. Why should I?

The reasoning on that is you are buying an item not necessarily donating and getting nothing in return.

I just checked the 2009 Watchtower Library. There has been no new information on this since the 1979 that said that being a member of the YMCA would be interfaith.

You are correct. I have never heard of the WTS easing off on becoming a member. I do believe that a person is allowed to take an exercise class for instance and not actually becoming a member. Their reasoning on this is you are paying for a service or item.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I just had a discussion about this with my brother who is a recently appointed elder. He thought it was a "matter of conscious" until I directed him to the 1979 QFR. I told him he really needs to know the rules if he's going to be an elder!

I just went to my local Y website and elder-patrol, I don't see where there's a day use only fee. It looks like you have to become a "member", pay a joining fee and then a monthly fee. I see where they have a sliding scale for the fees based on income but they don't advertise that you can use the facilities such as the pool or gym without joining. I'm in the US, maybe it's different other places. I do see that you don't have to sign a contract.

Honestly, I can't see what the difference would be anyway unless there was something objectionable in the contract. No different than going to a Catholic or Baptist hospital.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    The reasoning on that is you are buying an item not necessarily donating and getting nothing in return.

Paying a membership to the Y, getting the use of the facilities in return.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I guess about six months ago my wife who was studying at the time joined the Y, well I think she had her membership card or the membership materials out when the dubbette came over for the study, next week there was printed watchtower material sitting on the table, the following week my wife terminated the membership.....she was brought up in a JW household, so pretty much what the wt says goes......no change that I have seen, but the change in the name has intrigued my wife and she is wondering if it is no longer a Christian organization....will be interesting!

• loosie
    loosie

ok I will ask him to produce the article... maybe if he isn't too busy smoking pot he can remember to bring it.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Curious Butterfly wrote: You are correct. I have never heard of the WTS easing off on becoming a member. I do believe that a person is allowed to take an exercise class for instance and not actually becoming a member. Their reasoning on this is you are paying for a service or item.

That is different than my understanding.

The way it was always present to us was that even if we just using the pool, passersby and other Y members would not know that we were just 'using the pool'. They were likely to believe that we were members and as such had aligned ourselves with and enemy of Jehovah.

Also, it could stumble our brothers.

-Aude.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Has anyone written a letter about joining the "Y" in recent history? I'd be curious to see if they just quote the '79 wt.

• FifthOfNovember
    FifthOfNovember

I do remember being told some things about the YMCA when I was younger but at the beginning of this year I became a member. Since I am a student it only costs $10 a month. I simply use the gym there and occasionally shoot some pool. Since I've joined I've lost 26 lbs and made my life better. I've never seen anything "Christian" happen while I was there. I don't see how it's any different than paying for a service.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Did the WTS actually flip-flop on their view of a JW belong to the YMCA or Y or whatever it is called now? Could someone that has access please provide something in print? This would be very interesting to know. Thanks in advance.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit