YMCA now I am mad!!!

by loosie 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• JeffT
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

They taught that in the 50's and 60's also...

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one. There has been nothing in print retracting the WTS prohibition. A couple years ago board member Drew Sagan and his wife were DF'd for being members of the Y.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Nobody's telling me I can't join the Y. More than half of our congregation shops at St. Vincent DePaul Stores. I put money in the Salvation Army pot. I buy the little poppy from the Vets. I know Witness children who have benefitted from St. Jude's Hospitals and The March of Dimes. They perform good services for people. They don't discriminate because of religion. Why should I?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I'm pretty sure they are also an NGO.

• Elder-Patrol
    Elder-Patrol

I'd guess a person claiming he was disfellowshipped for swimming at a YMCA is leaving out some details, even if he was stuck with a judicial committee of incompetents (which is possible). The 1979 Watchtower made a distinction between those who pay an admission fee and and those who join/endorse/become members of YMCA.

*** w79 1/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***
    In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. ...Hence, for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called “Christian” association would amount to apostasy. Some individuals have on occasion not become members but have paid a onetime admission fee, viewing this as simply paying for a commercial service available. Even in this regard it is wise to consider whether this course will adversely affect the consciences of others. ...Thus, it is because of their understanding of what God expects of true worshipers, and of what the purposes and direction of the YMCA are, that Jehovah’s Witnesses may not become members of that organization.

I never heard of a YMCA insisting that pool patrons agree to any membership. I told them I wasn't comfortable "joining" the YMCA but I was happy to pay the fees; they genuinely could not have cared less if I "joined" or "became a member" or just paid the pool dues. I know others did the same.

Now, especially since the 1990s, hundreds of formerly mismanaged municipal pools are managed by YMCA. So, the local government owns the pool, taxpayers mostly fund the pool, and an experienced organization simply manages the pool and collects use fees. It would be foolish for anyone to hesitate to use the pool which his own taxes had paid for, despite what the signs at the pool may say.

Anyway, as of 2010 the word "Christian" is no longer part of their official name or mission. I think someone above mentions this; now it's just "The Y".
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hMncGyDr-eGcursFPS6tSKHuiKUgD9GTSQB80

• Titus
    Titus

It's fun to stay at the

YMCA

• debator
    debator

Young Men's Christian Association.

http://www.ymca.org.uk/bfora/systems/xmlviewer/default.asp?arg=DS_YMCA_WEBART_130/_page.xsl/182

"Many of our values are rooted in the Chrisitan faith. Indeed, YMCA is an abbreviation of Young Men's Christian Association.

The following looks at what the 'C' in the YMCA - the Christian - means to us, and how we think it helps to make our work unique. "

The YMCA is not a church, nor is it affiliated to any particular denominational expression of Christianity.

However, many YMCAs across England have developed close working relationships with local church groups, as well as with other voluntary organisations that share our ethos and aims.

YMCAs will also provide a place to meet and pray for those who follow other world faiths.

</form></form></form>
    </form></form></form></form></form> </form></form></form>
    site map
    site YMCA directory
    </form>
    Make a donation
    Take part in an event
    Job vacancies
    YMCA Directory
    YMCA Online Shop

The YMCA is not a church, nor is it affiliated to any particular denominational expression of Christianity.

However, many YMCAs across England have developed close working relationships with local church groups, as well as with other voluntary organisations that share our ethos and aims.

YMCAs will also provide a place to meet and pray for those who follow other world faiths.

</form></form></form>
    site map
    site YMCA directory
    </form>
    Make a donation
    Take part in an event
    Job vacancies
    YMCA Directory
    YMCA Online Shop

</form></form></form>
    site map
    site YMCA directory
    </form>
    Make a donation
    Take part in an event
    Job vacancies
    YMCA Directory
    YMCA Online Shop
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Never let a JW get off showing you the article when they make a claim that sounds the slightest bit shonky.

If they can produce it, you don't lose anything unless you were silly enough to make a claim based on it (don't).

If they can't produce it, or it contradicts them, they do......

Cheers

Chris

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember our circuit actually had the baptism at the local YMCA because the pool at the high school where they were holding their circuit assembly couldn't be used. This had to be 45 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit