Do you think JWS are a cult?

by Trixie 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

By any defining denominator's, yes, they fit the bill perfectly.

Peace

Celty

• SexyTeen
    SexyTeen

One question, what rules does the Governing Body impose that are not in the Bible?

I don't believe the governing body is our mediator, Jesus is, that is why prayers are offered in the name of Jesus. I think my parents have way more rules than what the governing body has, but still I obey them because the Bible tells me to honor them.

• detective
    detective

I do believe they fit the social/behavioral criteria of a cult. I also refer to them as a "high control group" so as not to induce visions of shaven heads and tambourines in people I am talking with. Occasionally I'll even call them a "closed society" if I think my listener is especially skittish. Sexyteen gave the exact same description as my JW friend did when I casually mentioned cults in a conversation. And I mean, almost exactly the same description. Coincidence?

Sexyteen, it's good that you honor your parents. Just don't do it on Mother's day or Father's day because on those days the scriptural basis goes out the window. On the up side, you can show your love and respect for your mother on any day of the year but one!

• Trixie
    Trixie

The JWs are completely a cult. As far as Sexyteen's comment that Christ is the head of the congregation, Christ is no longer alive to direct the JWs beliefs. JWs believe what the Governing Body says like they are God. It's a shame so many people are locked into that religion. Jesus' teachings have little to do with the actual religion. I myself have been soured on organized religion since my experience with the JWs.

• Will Power
    Will Power

ST:
    look up mediator in aid to bible understanding. Jesus is mediator for 144,000 annointed ONLY.
    They are the only ones that are in the new covenant. They are the only ones that can partake of the emblems.
    The org is the other sheep's mediator.
    The society has put themselves between you and Jesus.
    But what does Jesus say? HE is the way. HE is the light.
    They use smooth words.
    Let the reader use discernment.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Of course, it only matters if you believe that the bible is the word of God.
    Otherwise the watch tower who says that they speak for God [personally I think it should be small g] teaches that Jesus is the mediator for only the annointed.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I love it, you notice the average JW's defence that they are not a cult? It always falls abck to "A cult follows a man, we do not follow a man, we follow Jesus". However, cults do not always follow a man the proper definition is a leader, which is often 'a man' but not always. The JWs very much follow a leader and that leader is "the society". Notice the way that term is bantered about in everyday JW speeh, as if it were a living entity. This is very insidous, as the JWs don't even realize they are doing it! But all their speeh is "what does the society say about this?" which has them running, NOT to the bible, but to the elders or WT mags. They live and breath whatever the society tells them. It got so bad the the society had to tell them to be careful about saying the term the society around non-beleivers.

BTW, if you can't do math, i.e. 2+2=4 ...

the society = The governing body = 12 very old white men

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Sexyteen, your question ...

"One question, what rules does the Governing Body impose that are not in the Bible?"

I'll give you a couple.

NO vaccines.

NO organ transplants

NO smoking (I know, I know about the 'clean body' scripture. Twist it how you may, but it DOES NOT refer to smoking - if it did you must also never drink alchohal)

YOU MUST SCREAM IF RAPED, oops, we mean, it's ok if you don't. Oh did we say that? We meant YOU MUST SCREAM IF RAPED. Repeat about 7 more times.

Sorry got carried away ... there are plenty more where that came from

• freeman
    freeman

Ok you asked a good question, you said: “One question, what rules does the Governing Body impose that are not in the Bible?”

Would you please show me in the Bible where it says you can have only some parts of blood but not others?

Could you show me the scripture that says men should not have beards? Why can’t a man with a well-trimmed beard become an Elder?

How about the scripture that says organ transplants are forbidden? Oh never mind on that one God told them it was ok after all. To bad thousands had to die before they printed the change in the Watchtower.

Could you show me the scripture where it says that if a baptized witness joins the US army reserves, he is to be dissociated or disfellowshiped. And while you are at it look up the scripture that says it’s ok in Mexico to obtain a cartia card, (it’s like a draft card in the US and necessary to obtain a visa) which automatically places you in the Mexican army reserves, but unlike the US, you are not disfellowship or disassociated for becoming part of Mexico's army.

This is but a handful of the many rules that are not in the Bible. Do you need more?

Freeman

• detective
    detective

Sexyteen, your question ...
    "One question, what rules does the Governing Body impose that are not in the Bible?"

The ol' no birthday rule, for one.

Yes, we know what they "reason" from the bible. Unfortunately, the bible doesn't speak on the matter. If you weigh the fact that God had over 600 opportunities to mention this birthday ban as Moses trudged up and down the mountain but neglected to do so- well, I figure God just didn't think the birthday thing was that big a deal. But a bunch of crusty old men seem to disagree- go figure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit