Just curious...how do JW's who became Catholics deal with the corrupt history of the church?

by gubberningbody 22 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I don't get it.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

They eat Fish on Friday!..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• man in black
    man in black

if you look at any religion's past, there are always a few skeletons in the closet. Catholic / Mormon / etc..

I feel that in the current time we live in, it's how the individual applies what the religion teaches to their own life.

Not all Catholics / Mormons / etc. are bad people, in fact some of the best ones I know do belong to one of these churches.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I'm not talking about individuals. I'm talking about the idea that an adoptee of a religion has that the organization is being used by God. To me it's madness to consider that to be the case with the Catholic church. It isn't as if the Catholic church had some prophet who said "God told me to kill and persecute unbelievers." They just went ahead and did it.

To me, attaching to the group is sharing in its history.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I guess the same way people who become citizens of the US or other countries deal with the history of coruption or racism in their adopted country. If you only want to be a part of something that is perfect and has always been that way you will never become a part of anything.

• SallySue
    SallySue

You said a mouthful, "I quit!".

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

No, I quit. You still don't see the point. People who become citizens of a country don't swear an oath which includes the idea that God has chosen that country to do his will and whatever that country does is therefore ok.

Joining a religion whose tenets say WE are the organ of God on earth and God is authoring our actions, is culpable because those tenets are part and parcel of the religion. (Unitarians and Bahai and some others excluded...) Catholics ARE included in the very same way as JWs.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I can deal with it if a former JW now Catholic just says...

"I was just looking for a club to join. I checked the Catholics out, and I said "hey! I'm in!"

I can't deal with it if that former JW now Catholic says

"I finally found the one true religion!"

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

I addressed the early development of Catholicism and how the clergy class was formed in this post:

The Deification of the Pope

The decent into corruption started with the seduction of philosophy. Mankind’s Search for God, chap. 11 p. 261 Apostasy—The Way to God Blocked

It's safe to say that by the time Pope Innocent IV introduced torture in the Inquisition the corruption in Catholicism was systematic and Christendom had completed its decent into hell. That is why many people are atheists because of the religions they have been exposed to. They do tend to have a negative effect on people. Torture, murder, mayhem, etc...things of this nature.

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n1676.cfm

Our precious Savior never ordered anyone to be slaughtered for any reason, especially for hardness of heart against his message, nor for disagreeing with him on spiritual matters. But -- and this is a very big 'but' -- pagans regularly move to slaughter their opponents, usually with great relish and hardness of heart. In such slaughters, murder is not enough; rather, before the victim dies, pagans absolutely relish inflicting maximum pain upon their victims.

As the Inquisition rolled along, another demonic spirit swept through the Church and the people carrying out the Inquisition. This spirit was a spirit of absolute, diabolical hatred of mankind, accompanied by a corresponding love of torture.

Therefore, the monstrosity of the Inquisition stands before mankind as the ultimate evidence of the inherent Satanism of the Roman Catholic Church. For those who have the courage to examine this ultimate "rotten fruit", they will see the truth of the Catholic Church. And do not think Rome has changed, for the Bible tells us that a Leopard does not change its spots [Jeremiah 13:23], and Rome is always bragging that she never changes. A concrete proof of this fact is that Pope Paul VI (1963-1978) restored the Office of the Inquisition, renamed today as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith ["Lives of the Popes", by Richard P. McBrien, HarperSanFrancisco, 1997, p. 282, 354]. Today, this nefarious Office of the Inquisition is headed by Cardinal Ratzinger.

The Age of Enlightenment paved the way for a great increase of knowledge, the very reverse of religious corruption.

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/docs/1891_MD_Thy_Kingdom_Come_1st_Ed.pdf

1891 Thy Kingdom Come 1st Ed.

This Time of the End, or day of Jehovah preparation beginning A. D. 1799 and closing A. D. 1914, though characterized by a great increase of knowledge over all past ages, is to culminate in the greatest time of trouble the world has ever known; but it is nevertheless preparing for and leading into that blessed time so long promised, when the true Kingdom of God, under the control of the true Christ, will fully establish an order of government the very reverse of that of Antichrist. Page 59

The idea that Jehovah's Organization is in anyway corrupt (past or present) is for the most part conjecture from ex-JWs that have emotional problems because of unwise decisions they have made in their personal life.

The wisdom of the shrewd is to understand his way, but the foolishness of stupid ones is deception. Proverbs 14:8

And their mouth is full of cursing and bitter expression.” “Ruin and misery are in their ways, and they have not known the way of peace.” “There is no fear of God before their eyes.” Romans 3:14-18

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The idea that the Catholic Church is in anyway corrupt (past or present) is for the most part conjecture from JWs that have emotional problems because of unwise decisions they have made in their personal life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit