Quote from Warren Buffet on what he learned from his father.

by Scarred for life 18 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

I totally related to what you posted, dear Scarred (peace to you!), and apologize for going off-topic. I can rely on your unconditional love and forgiveness, though, right?

Your topic and thoughts were wonderful and I thank you for posting them. And I am truly sorry for those, here, and throughout the world who didn't get such love. I could put myself in that same boat (my entire family on my mother's side, devout Lutherans, "disowned" me when I became a JW. My grandfather actually travelled from Virginia, where he lived, to New York, where I was living at the time... to tell me that, as a family, "We are LUTHERAN, we have always BEEN Lutheran," and if I did NOT cease my association with Jehovah's Witnesses, I could considered myself "disowned and no longer a part of that family." Yikes! At the time, it didn't bother me because, well, I had the Witnesses - right? And then, even their loved "failed."

My point? It is not only JW children who miss out on unconditional love.

BUT... such love is NOT hard to find, indeed, it is being offered to YOU... and everyone everywhere... right now:

It is summed up in the invitation of my Lord, that, "ALL you who are toiling and loaded down... come to ME!" And his invitation, "ALL you who are thirsting, come to ME and drink"... and "... you will find seasons of REFRESHING... for your SOUL!" It is summed up in the invitation he and his Bride offer to ALL: "Come! Take 'life's water'... free!"

Conditional love IS cruel, dear Scarred... and should not be the lot of ANY child. But we're not children anymore and so we can CHOOSE to continue in the "void"... and hold onto that tired, ragged old "woobie" of... "I didn't get..."... "No one gave ME..."... "I missed out..." "I was robbed...".... and things like these.

Or, we can FORGET THE THINGS IN THE PAST... move toward the things [set out] before us. The Way is an open road, dear one. We can stand still and commisurate on what we missed out on... or we can love forward and LIVE... and love. The choice is ours, each one of us. Our parents, families, the WTBTS, etc., no longer control us... what we think... what we feel... what we get... or what we DON'T get. That... is now in our own hands and control.

(Dear Josie - peace to you!) I sign cards for my husband to his grandchildren all the time. Not that he doesn't love them; it's just that I am more of a "card" person than he. I also don't get where he acknowledged her as his grandchild - other than her saying so - but, perhaps, didn't treat her any different when she was child and so she perceived that he viewed her that way. Again, only one side of the story... and, again, interesting that it is only this child that seems to be telling it (for which I am SURE she received some compensation). And, again, I am not saying that he is right if her story is accurate. I am just saying, IS her story accurate?).

Again, dear Scarred, I apologize for being off-topic and will end my part here. Peace to you, both!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

(Dear Josie - peace to you!) I sign cards for my husband to his grandchildren all the time. Not that he doesn't love them; it's just that I am more of a "card" person than he. I also don't get where he acknowledged her as his grandchild - other than her saying so - but, perhaps, didn't treat her any different when she was child and so she perceived that he viewed her that way. Again, only one side of the story... and, again, interesting that it is only this child that seems to be telling it (for which I am SURE she received some compensation). And, again, I am not saying that he is right if her story is accurate. I am just saying, IS her story accurate?).

Folks take different things away for article to be sure. I understood that she had a relationship with her grandfather, we'll never know how close. But I pointed out this story because it relates somewhat to the conditional love that some of us born-ins have experienced with our own families. Love is stripped away if we step oet of line, if we disagree with the bOrg, if we decided to leave the bOrg, if we dare to say anything negative about the bOrg.

I think this is a great topic and the article fitted in perfect. Mr Buffet is human and complicated just like everyone else. Just because he has billions doesn't mean he's always right and not subject to human frailities.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I "hear" you, dear Josie... and, of course, peace to you!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Shelly, I really don't think you did "hear" me.

I don't like the inference that I went offtopic and ruined Scarred thread. I didn't. I just brought something up that I had read years ago and it is related to the topic. I'm not being mean. This is a discussion board and I have nothing to apologize for. Maybe I shouldn't have open my big mouth and leave ya'll in lala land.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I just don't like the inference that I went offtopic and ruined Scarred thread. I didn't.

I didn't think that, dear Josie (peace to you!), but maybe dear Scarred only intended to discuss the "good" of this particular topic, without "us" going into an in-depth discussion regarding Mr. Buffet's intentions toward his granddaughter.

I just brought something up that I had read years ago and it is related to the topic. I'm not being mean.

I would agree on all three accounts. BUT... Scarred's label IS "Scarred for Life," AND... she has given some indication of her... ummmm... "sensitivity," so we shouldn't be too surprised that her feelings were somewhat "hurt" when we did a sidebar...

This is a discussion board and I have nothing to apologize for.

Perhaps, not, my dear sister. But should we really only need to apologize when we think there's "something" to apologize for? Would not love suggest that sometimes we may want/need to apologize because of the benefit to others when we do so? For example, here, dear Scarred's peace of mine and assurance that we weren't just blowing off HER thoughts and purpose for making the post in the first place? Maybe?

Maybe I shouldn't open my big mouth and leave ya'll in lala land.

C'mon, Josie - your's is one of the voices of reason here I look for (and there ain't a whole lot of 'em!). If you leave "all us" in lala land, THEN where would we be? Where might we end up? Girl, don't let such a small thing get to you like that. I KNOW you're "tougher" than that. I've SEEN it - LOLOLOLOLOL! Let it go and let's move on. Too many other threads for me and you to "ruin", girl! So, let's get to it!

PEACE... to you... dear Scarred... and everyone else who visited this thread!

A slave of Christ,

Shel

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nope I'm pissed. I'm done with this topic.

• JWoods
    JWoods

One interesting thing about this subject is that nobody would give a hoot what Warren Buffet thinks, or what he learned from his father -

If he were not extremely rich.

That in itself is not much of a qualification in making him a great life advisor.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Unconditional love is a goal to strive for, but one that we as humans fall far from.

We can't do it without Jesus and God, we are truly "broken" without them, we can try to love without condtions, but we will fail because we are not equipped to do so.

And even WITH Jesus in our heart and the HS guiding us, it is stilla HUGE challenge.

We are naturally to selfish and sel-centered to be able to give unconditional love, but we must try.

I think that, if there is one thing worth trying for and failing if that is what happens, it is giving uncondtional love to those people in our lives.

I also think that Mr.Buffet has his OWN notion of "unconditional love".

• Hadit
    Hadit

Scarred for life: I completely understood your post - I don't give a rat's behind about Buffet and what he does. That's the whole point of quotes -the words and the meaning behind them for US and how WE can apply them. If it was about the people who said them well . . . we wouldn't be quoting much because we ALL can be hypocrites.

Missing out on unconditional love as children is a devastating thing. It damages your self-esteem as an adult. If you can't rely on your own parents for support then who can you rely on? What I can learn from that is to make sure that I do my utmost to love my child unconditionally and give him support through thick and thin, mistakes and all. That's what LOVING someone is all about.

Thanks for the meaningful quote and for your thoughts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit