Quote from Warren Buffet on what he learned from his father.

by Scarred for life 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

"The power of unconditional love. I mean, there is no power on earth like unconditional love. And I think that if you offered that to your child, I mean, you’re 90 percent of the way home. There may be days when you don’t feel like it — it’s not uncritical love; that’s a different animal — but to know you can always come back, that is huge in life. That takes you a long, long way. And I would say that every parent out there that can extend that to their child at an early age, it’s going to make for a better human being."

This is what we are all missing, those of us that were raised in this cult. This is what is missing from our lives. And it's hard to replace that when you never got it in childhood. We were robbed.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

He's not talking about the grand-daughter he disowned, right? I mean I like the guy but I think he's a bit of a hypocrite.

A month later, the mega-billionaire mailed Nicole a letter in which he cautioned her about the pitfalls of the Buffett name: "People will react to you based on that 'fact' rather than who you are or what you have accomplished." He punctuated the letter by declaring, "I have not emotionally or legally adopted you as a grandchild, nor have the rest of my family adopted you as a niece or a cousin." Nicole was devastated. "He signed the letter 'Warren,'" she says. "I have a card from him just a year earlier that's signed 'Grandpa.'"

But Buffett's decision was irrevocable. "I don't have an easy answer for where my father is coming from," says Peter Buffett, who speaks to Nicole regularly. "But I know I can't change the spots on a leopard." Jamie Johnson convinced Nicole to tape a follow-up interview, which he added as an emotional postscript to his film. "To pretend like we don't have a familial relationship is not based in reality. I've spent years of my life at his home in Omaha. I'm shocked and hurt," Nicole says.

http://www.marieclaire.com/world-reports/news/latest/warren-buffett-granddaughter-nicole-buffett

• blondie
    blondie

I understood that Warren Buffett has not supported his children after they reached adulthood and that they had no expectations of inheriting, any of them, and that it was not a retaliatory action.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Now, despite her sterling surname, Buffett is getting by on $40,000 or so a year, largely on the sale of her paintings (collectors include Shirley Temple's daughter Lori Black and Hollywood special-effects guru Scott Ross). There's no denying that the Buffett name piques interest in the art world, where Nicole's pieces have fetched as much as $8000. One of her techniques is to leave unfinished works outside, exposed to the elements. "I like to see what happens," she says, hovering over canvases mottled with sunbursts of color.

Nicole supplements her income by working at a San Francisco boutique, but still can't afford cable or health insurance. Since their falling-out,
    Buffett has begun mailing sizable Christmas checks to his grandchildren, despite his no-freebies rule. Even so, Nicole vigorously insists that she has no regrets. "I think it shows he's trying to reach out to his grandkids in a more personal way," she says, before pausing. "And probably he's rewarding them for behaving."

...In the two years since they last spoke, Nicole has been besieged by her grandfather's image. "I can't turn on the TV or read the paper without seeing him," she says, referring to his role in the Wall Street bailout and as Barack Obama's adviser during his presidential bid. She dreams about a reconciliation, however unlikely. Still, she says she'll never stop being a Buffett. "I will always be self-reliant," she says, curled up on her couch, her dreadlocks draping her body like a quilt. "Grandpa taught me that, and it has set the tone for my life."

http://www.marieclaire.com/world-reports/news/latest/warren-buffett-granddaughter-nicole-buffett

He may have a no support rule but he is using his money as a way to keep his family in line, according to this article.

What is hypocrital about this is he's quoted as having unconditional love for his children but as this article points out it's quite the opposite. His grand-daughter made a mistake by not consulting him before being interviewed and was disowned. This is the only Grandfather she knows, doesn't matter if she adopted or not, she was accepted ino the family as a Buffet. One mistake and she's gone? And as far as Grandpa Buffet is concerned, she can't come back. Sad.

• Hadit
    Hadit

The words themselves have a lot of meaning and scarred for life is right - a LOT of witness children are robbed of unconditional love. Parents let the WTS put conditions on loving their own children. That is disgusting. It no wonder that kids are going crazy in the org. They feel they have no support and have to be perfect in order to be loved. If not then not only will their parents abandon them but God will punish them by murdering them at the big A. Makes me feel sick just typing this. Sad, sick and demented.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I KNOW this shouldn't matter, dear Josie (peace to you!), but could the words "I have not emotionally or legally adopted you as a grandchild..." give some insight as to Mr. Buffet's thinking? For example, could it be that one of his children had compassion and adopted/took in a child/person... but that neither he nor the rest of the family were/are/have emotionally or otherwise "invested" in her? Or could she possibly be the child of an... ummmm... non-"sanctioned" relationship (i.e., a "love" child or something like that, perhaps even a stepchild of one of Mr. Buffet's children, which child adopted her and so gave her the Buffet name?). None of which should matter, IMHO, but might explain Mr. Buffet's position (i.e., don't come after me for money just because you have my name, particularly in light of how that came about)? I dunno... I'm just asking...

Which leads me to ask, if that is the case, are non-immediate family members REQUIRED to invest emotionally in those adopted by other members of the family? I mean, I know what I believe... but given how the world thinks, I am curious as to what others may think.

Edited to add: I read the article and I think that sheds SOME light (although, not necessarily GOOD light) on the matter. I do know that in MANY families it is "Grandma" to nurtures the relationships more so than "Grandpa" and, sometimes, even signs and sends cards in "Grandpa's" name. Happens with husbands and wives, too. So, to say that there is a relationship were perhaps there may have never been one is... well... interesting.

Back to my question above, though: any takers?

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    doesn't matter if she adopted or not, she was accepted ino the family as a Buffet.

Hmmm... but was she accepted by him? I don't really get that from the article. Not that that's right - but, I'm just sayin'...

And it appears that it's her word that she was accepted by the family. Have THEY weighed in on that? Given that her mother and stepfather ultimately divorced, it could be that neither she, her sister, OR her mother were actually ever "accepted". I know that that is not her fault, but it happens...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

In the article she says that just the year before he had sent her a card signed as her Grandpa. What I got from that was she had been treated as part of the Buffet family from the start of her adpotion. She only knew him as her grandfather and he acknowledge her as his grand-daughter. The disowning occured after Buffet found out about the interview. But how can you disown a grand-daughter if you've never acknowledged her? That my dear Shelly doesn't make sense.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Well, Hadit, you're the only one that got the point of my post. Thank you. I don't know anything about Warren Buffet and his family . And I don't want to know anything about his family. I just liked his quote and I feel that that was missing in my life to a great extent. It was certainly not taught in the cult that I was brought up in.

I thought maybe some of you could relate to that feeling also.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Scarred, I do like and appreciate the quote.

Sad to say my parents don't practise the sentiment but I make sure I do with my children. I just feel that the comment coming from Mr Buffet is a bit tainted.

I had read this article a couple of years ago and thought it was a shame but it's an example of what I wouldn't do with my own children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit