Will Disassociating myself be the same as playing by their Rules?

by onemore 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Emoly
    Emoly

What my uncle (an elder) told my mom was that even though I did not formally DA myself with a letter, when I joined a Unitarian Universalist church and started celebrating holidays, voting, etc. I performed a "Disassociation by action" (cannot remember the exact terminology).

I think it makes more sense to play by YOUR rules, defining them by what works best for you, and not by what makes things harder for the WTS.

• changeling
    changeling

What "undercover" said applies to me as well...but everyone's situation is different...there is no right or wrong way to leave the borg.

• elderelite
    elderelite

what emoly was say is 100% in line with current direction from the branch. A person who joins another church or joins the military is DA'd. They are to be treated as DF"d.

If you have family in, i wouldn't recomened DA. if you are solo and dont care... by all means. It is quick and easy.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

You could tell them that you're disfellowshipping all of them for apostasy. Tell them that they are no longer allowed to talk to you. Inform them that since they are followers of men, self-anointed false prophets, you will be removing their names from your membership records as followers of Christ.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Billy, yer f*cking hilarious...

But to answer your question, yes. It is playing by their rules. Just don't go. They hold no power over you. If they ask it anit none of their damn business..

• onemore
    onemore

Very thought provoking comments. Thanks you all for your responses.

Although…I kind’a liked Billy’s suggestion .

I’ve been considering all the available options. As I mentioned on another post, I think that I’ll pull a nice fadeeeee. I don’t have any significant family member in the JW other than my wife’s, no significant business dealings with JWs (minor stuff), and really…only a handful of JW that I can call REAL friends, the rest…I care for them to the same degree that they care for me (if you know what I mean).

I do feel that the WT and its elders have NO authority over me. NONE, NADA DE NADA. However, I was wondering if I would feel as if I have to settle a score with the b-organization eventually. Some of your responses gave me some confidence that I might be able to just forget all about the WT and its cronies.

• blondie
    blondie

You could tell them that you're disfellowshipping all of them for apostasy. Tell them that they are no longer allowed to talk to you. Inform them that since they are followers of men, self-anointed false prophets, you will be removing their names from your membership records as followers of Christ.

Very good, Billy, and very practical. I have df'd my family (for very good personal reasons) and have not talked directly to an elder for 8 years until last year when I ran into one in the store. I lucked out, he wanted to know something about another jw; I just said "if you don't know you expect me to know?!" Blondie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you disassociate yourself, you are effectively quitting. It is the same as "You can't fire me--I quit". There might be good reasons to do that: Putting a stop to the hounding, creating a full break from the cancer, or so you can openly do whatever you feel like without being hounded are good reasons. Of course, there may be equally good reasons to not play this: Association with family that is still in, wasting their time and energy on worrying about you, and trying to restrict the Unholy Spirit are among these. And, if you are still technically in and it takes them 20 years or more to find out that you are doing apostasy, that is a slap in the face of holy spirit running the religion.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Yes. The question would be "why bother?" Unless there is a good reason, just do what you want, move on and ignore the rules.

• laverite
    laverite

OMG Billy that is FUNNY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit