A brilliant psychologist

by voodoo lady 13 Replies latest jw friends

• voodoo lady
    voodoo lady

I've been seeing a brilliant psychologist. He has been pivotal in drawing the parallels between my JW upbringing - specifically the hypocrisy I saw as a child - and the reason I've tolerated lies and inconsistencies in my most significant adult relationship.

I've seen one other psychologist in the past. She didn't get the issues surrounding the religion whatsoever, didn't regard that aspect of my backstory as relevant, and was of little help to me.

Has anyone else seen a psychologist - whether for help with coping in the aftermath of leaving the religion, or for seemingly unrelated issues that actually turned out to be related? Was the experience effective for you?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Oh gosh yes!

One thing I learned in my Psych 101 class is that if you are not satisfied with or don't feel as though your psychologist is "getting it," feel free to move on without guilt.

My first psychologist (actually a psychopharmacologist) was a great guy, I really liked him. But in retrospect, he really did not see the obvious.

My second psychologist was outstanding. I was refered to her by my university, and going to her was the best thing I ever did. She didn't totally "get the religion thing" at first, but soon came to see it as another source of abuse and control in my life.

Again, seeing her was one of the best investments I ever made in my life.

• zeb
    zeb

Yes I have. One was a weirdo.

But your own conscience/mind/soul can tell whether they are on the ball or not. It is imperative to ask them at the beginning do they have experience or what do they know about dealing with cults. Print some pages that most appeal from this site or others and leave them with the psych. before your first appointment. If they are truly professional they will do some smart research to get up to speed before they see you. If they have not dont go back you are not there to educate them... and i have had the experience that some have major issues themselves.

Just to clarify a point here a Psychologist is a counselor. A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has specialized into the mental health side of things.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Any psychologist that doesn't think being in a controlling destructive cult is relevant to psychological issues should have their licence revoked.

My daughter had substantial psychological issues as a teen, I think getting such help was pivotal in her getting better and going on to be a happy, well adjusted adult.

Some therapists are better than others, if you don't feel you are getter better or don't click with the first one, don't give up, keep trying until you get the help you need.

• KillerJones
    KillerJones

Hi voodoo!

Yes, I have been seeing a clinical psycologist for many years (not a counselor ...lol) and she has truly helped me vacate the guilt of being in the organization. The lies had really done a number to me and the therapy was always positive. She helped me to appreciate that I was not bipolar as some had said, but was suffering from post-cult after effects. Symptoms were depression and suicidal thoughts, sense of isolation, guilt(of course, right) and confusion over right and wrong.

I am so happy you found your way out! Keep up with the sessions. I hope they make you feel a world better! We deserve to be free! 😄

• zeb
    zeb

Two Psychiatrists walking through the mall and they bump into each other.

"Hi there" says one to the other "You look fine how am I?"

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I am my own psychologist, I see myself every day.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Voodo Lady so glad to here you have such help in your life right now:

The Psychiatrist currently assisting me is top of his game. He never offers an opinion but will dialogue with you and by drawing you out with questions get you to reach your own logical conclusions. Were I to attempt to ask him something along the lines of - Have you treated many JW's for depression - he would simply not answer that question -

But by the nature of his questions I can confirm that he knows a lot about JW's and even doctrine and policies. He is Jewish and about 70 years of age. Wise ol man ! Got me off deep depression in about a month after 30 months of hell.

However all 4 of us [family] have or are receiving professional assistance.

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Psychologist know a lot, but psychology really is also an art. Some have it and others don't. The same with people of the public, you have to suspect psychologists of their biases and shortcomings. That is why I tell people to switch if they feel that their psychologist does not understand them.

As for psychiatrists, I see no need for them unless the patient is suffering from clinical depression. All they do is categorize you for a drug they think you should take. But this wont resolve the problem to the full extent. For books on this read Cracked, The Book of Woe and Saving Normal.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

My wife sometimes plays this on her guitar at dinner parties when the subject of psychotherapy comes up. Basically, a thing is a phallic symbol if it's longer than it's wide..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuru1nO0QU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit